PDA

View Full Version : HELP cynobateria how do i fix

KPOLYP
11/25/2005, 07:16 PM
38 das with back pack 7 gallon sump skimmer. SB 45 lbs of LR mostly LPS new 175watt 15.000 k bulb a lot of water flow calcium and alkilinity dose daily dts once a week. what is the natraul way to solve this problem

feixjai
11/25/2005, 11:47 PM
A scooter blenny might help. My friend had cyno all over his sand bed and he has a scooet blenny. Next day it was all gone. I had a case of cyano once too. All I did was whenever I had to do water changes, i use the tube and suck up the cyano and the sand they are stuck too. I also cut my light time in half so everying two or one week I would increase the time by half an hour.

chtan
11/26/2005, 03:44 AM
Are u using Kalkwasser? the way u dose it if it is not in slow drips can cause cyno ...

U may like to use something like aqua medic anti red to remove the cyno ...

Or better still fix a ozoniser with a redox controller that solves the cyno .

knowse
11/26/2005, 08:43 AM
If you just upgraded the lights, that will cause a cyano bloom. Do frequent water changes and make sure your using ro/di water for both top offs and water changes. Increased flow will also help. Run the skimmer wet (remove the air check valve9 and be sure to keep the skimmer clean.

blas
11/29/2005, 09:40 PM
Also look at your feedings you may be overfeeding your fish. I have even gone as far as using Chemi clean but would only do that as a last resort, mine seemed to go away once I adjusted my flow so that I was getting good coverage and cutting back on food. It is such a pain and it looks so bad. Also I use only RO water from a reputable source. I have a chemist friend who tested all the water in our area and he found the best one which luckily is just down the street. At one point I was manually using a turkey baster to suck it out along with the changes mentioned. I change 10 gallons every week in my 90 and with fingers crossed is has been gone for a while.

KPOLYP
11/29/2005, 10:49 PM
I like all the help you have giving me. i really like the beleny idea cuz there are chemicals and it is all natural. and then i do a 10 gal water change once a weak RO topoffs

discus010
12/01/2005, 09:37 PM
Elevated nitrate levels can cause cyno to bloom. You can reduce the levels by doing water changes or by cleaning your collection cup more frequently. A dirty throat in the collection cup reduces the efficiency of a skimmer.

Agree with increasing water flow.

A kole tang eats cyno

KPOLYP
12/04/2005, 07:30 PM
i got a few more snails and they seem to do a good job

Kazz
12/22/2005, 12:14 AM
Read this sticky...very helpful

Definitive Thread on Destroying Cyanobacteria (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=725686)

Dubbin1
12/22/2005, 08:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6188723#post6188723 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KPOLYP
i really like the beleny idea cuz there are chemicals and it is all natural.
I doubt very much that a scooter is going to eat the cyno. Mine never once touched the small cyno problem I had.

jenghes
12/22/2005, 08:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6165732#post6165732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chtan
Are u using Kalkwasser? the way u dose it if it is not in slow drips can cause cyno ...

Hmmm, I have never heard of this, please explain why.

Thanks,

Jen

chtan
12/23/2005, 12:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6336819#post6336819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tjghes
Hmmm, I have never heard of this, please explain why.

Thanks,

Jen

If you are 'pouring' in the Kalk instead of slow drips, you may cause the PH and KH to fluctuate substantially and ''shock'' your system thus causing cyano ... that is what I had experienced previously.