PDA

View Full Version : Kalk Question...

clutch
11/25/2005, 05:13 PM
I have been doing the drip for somw time now and i just wondering if after every drip you dump out the excess calcium that builds up at the bottom of the bucket. I was told it was ok but would like to here it from someone here on reefer central. I have been ussaully recieving all my info from here which makes me believe the answer lies here. Thnx for help.........

Bandsaw
11/25/2005, 05:20 PM
To the best of my knowledge you can reuse it. The excess in the bottom of your drip pail is likely just the remaining lime content that could not be disolved due to your top up water being saturated. I would just put some new fresh water in and stir it up.

Keeping a small power head in your lime water will help keep things stired up and make sure the water is totally saturated.

Randall_James
11/25/2005, 05:56 PM
Mixing your Kalk is fine, keeping it mixed is a no no.....

Let that sediment fall out of suspension. As long as it does not discolor it will be fine. It is rumored that that sediment may also help remove metals or other elements from the water it was mixed with as well.

I mix my kalk, dump into container and let it settle for no less than 24 hours before use. (you do not want milky water for dosing).

I periodically dump and clean the main container. If the sediment changes color, then clean it right away. (bacteria).

Probably goes without saying but use RO/DI water only.

clutch
11/25/2005, 06:15 PM
ok that's kool i do let it settle for a day or so ok thnx for replies