PDA

View Full Version : Can a snail live with out its shell???

raw88gt
11/25/2005, 04:57 PM
Just wondering can a snail live with out its shell and if so for how long? as i have one crawling on the galss minus its shell:o

Travis L. Stevens
11/25/2005, 05:08 PM
Short answer is yes. You may want to do a search when/if you can. There was a couple of threads within the past 3 months that went into great depth.

geo
11/25/2005, 05:08 PM
I doubt it is a snail without shell, can you gt a picture of it?

Salamander
11/25/2005, 05:10 PM
Not likely.....probably a stomatella snail. Looks more like slug.

Mark

Randall_James
11/25/2005, 05:23 PM
This question pops up all the time and almost invariably it is a Stomatella. If you look closely he has a small shield of a shell. Definite good guys..

raw88gt
11/25/2005, 05:27 PM
ya search isn't working for me its definatly a snail without a shell as i saw the shell fall wheni was scraping the glass

Travis L. Stevens
11/25/2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Randall_James
This question pops up all the time and almost invariably it is a Stomatella. If you look closely he has a small shield of a shell. Definite good guys..

I second this. And one of the best snails to have, IMO. Though there is the RARE occassion that it a regular snail that is lucky enough to live without it. If it is a snail without a shell, don't expect it to live long. If it doesn't die from open exposure, it most likely will get eaten. Most likely it is wounded and may even have a tear where it has been dislodged.