PDA

View Full Version : Burgundy Algae

strider
11/25/2005, 03:27 PM
Is this Algae that i find is now starting to spread good or bad its not slimey its more like a velvet texture

Thanx

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/strider69/DSC00263.jpg

Paintbug
11/25/2005, 05:24 PM
its Cyanobacteria AKA red slime. its a bad algae. if your tank is new then its probablly just an algae cycle and will disapear eventually. check your nitrates and phosphates to make sure they are not feeding the algae.

areze
11/25/2005, 05:58 PM
I got that, then as soon as it came it left. took about 3 weeks from when I first saw it to go away.

strider
11/25/2005, 06:00 PM
yes my tank is only 6 weeks old my nitrate levels are 5 when you say red slime is it slimey as this isnt its like velvet ive just noticed another rock that looks to have alot of tiny specks growing

Paintbug
11/25/2005, 07:31 PM
can you blow it off the rocks with a turkey baster? when red slime gets thick it looks like velvet. its still slimey to touch. its probablly just part of the algae cycle and should go away in a few weeks.

Avi
11/25/2005, 10:11 PM
Hmmm...from the appearance of that in the photo, it may not be something bad. If it's growing on the rock and not on the substrate, which is what it looks like in the pic, and it's not flimsy and gelatinous, then it's a form of coraline algae and desireable in your reef. If you rub your finger across it and it doesn't come off the surface of what it's growing on or come of onto your finger it's a good coraline algae. If it does come off....see the postings above.

jun_celis
11/25/2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by strider
Is this Algae that i find is now starting to spread good or bad its not slimey its more like a velvet texture

Thanx

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/strider69/DSC00263.jpg

Here's a test... If you can blow it with powerhead, siphon it, and it shows up on your substrate, then it's cyano. But to me, it looks like a coralline of a different color. I have those all over my rocks. I'm getting some orage color now and I hope it's not something bad.