PDA

View Full Version : Hermit crabs and copper

QuickCarl
11/25/2005, 09:18 AM
Do hermit crabs have a greater resistance to copper than other inverts? I have some in a tank that is being treated with copper, and they seem to be doing fine (it's been 3 weeks). It had me worried at first that my copper test kit was no good, but I've confirmed the copper level, so I'm wondering if copper just doesn't bother them as much (or as quickly).

LaloV.
11/25/2005, 11:05 AM
Either they are hardier or not, you shouldn´t put inverts in a tank that has been treated with cooper.

Blown 346
11/25/2005, 12:12 PM
Any invert, coral, liverock or live sand will eventually die from copper. Copper should only be used for treating only fish in a quarantine tank or in a fish only tank.

welshnumber8
11/25/2005, 03:58 PM
Yes copper only to be used as treatment, if you buy fish from LFS which has had copper as treatment, net them into tank do not put water into your tank.

eleodes
11/25/2005, 08:27 PM
i posted some questions a few threads back about a possible Copper contamination problem. i hypothesize that it might be originating from the antiquated distiller in our lab.

i can't detect the Cu which might or might not be in the water with my test kit, but i know that very low levels can be very bad for inverts. the shrimp, crabs and snails that i added a few weeks back have all keeled over one-by-one. the one fish and the soft corals in the tank seem to be unaffected by whatever the problem is.

i hope to start cleaning things up be replacing water with RO from the grocery store.