PDA

View Full Version : Monthly price to keep a salt tank?

95cobra
11/24/2005, 10:18 PM
I recently picked up a 125 gallon tank. I've thought about possibly setting up a salt tank. On average, how much do you guys think it would cost to run a reef tank, and how much to run a fish only tank on a monthly basis (including extra cost on the electric bill, costs of additives, etc....). It's going to be set up in my basement when I finish it, so I've got plenty of time to learn/spread out the cost of initial setup. I'm just lookin for a rough ballpark figure on what it would cost per month after setup.

fareforce
11/24/2005, 10:25 PM
My 55 costs me a fortune every month.. But I am always adding stuff.

I did actually figure it out, and if I didn't change anything it would be about $50 a month for everything down to RO water, salt, food, electricity, etc.

dugg
11/24/2005, 10:30 PM
Seems like there was a poll on this subject a while back? I think it came out to roughly $1 per gallon.

Island Hopper
11/24/2005, 10:42 PM
Your initial startup will hit you hard in the pocket. But afterwards expenses will slow down and can spread out your cost to fit your budget. I have a 150 Gal. reef tank and can get by on as little as 25 – 50 a month. Or I can go out and spend a lot on livestock and other equipment. It’s a long-term hobby for me, and I have a lot of space to fill in a tank this size, so I’m in no hurry.