PDA

View Full Version : Purple Tang has a whiet spot near its mouth

coralGoodie
11/24/2005, 02:48 PM
My tang has white spot near its mouth. Not sure it it's an Ick or what. The PT does not show any sign of stress or rubbing its mouth on something. It got bigger recently. What is this? What should I do? I've got this PT for 3 weeks now and QT it before I put it in the main tank.

Wilafur
11/24/2005, 07:53 PM
as long as it is eating don't worry too much about it.

coralGoodie
11/24/2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Wilafur
as long as it is eating don't worry too much about it.

Thanks..Wilafur..

laverda
11/25/2005, 03:10 PM
Tangs are very susceptible to ICH. But one spot does not sound like ICH. Keep your temp within 3 degrees to prevent ICH if the fish is stressed. I would check your water parameters closely and Feed it a verity of food soaked with vitamins at a min. Hopefully some more knowledgeable people on fish diseases will post.

sharkdude
11/25/2005, 04:39 PM
I had a chromis with some sort of mouth tumor once. I assumed some type of infection or irritation from soemthing it picked at on rocks. It continued to eat and eventually the tumor healed. Eversince, the second largest chromis has ben known as 'Tumor', a quasi-individual among the Chrom-I collective! :)

I also once had an undulated trigger that got a mouth full of bristles when sampling a bristle worm. They eventually fell out and the mouth healed on its own.

I'd recommend keeping an eye on the fish and keeping things as stable as possible. It may heal on its own so long as he continues to eat and swim actively.

StoneyK
11/25/2005, 05:14 PM
its just a crumb... he needs a napkin...lmao
just kidding wish I could help more... good luck hope your fish makes it tangs are some of my personal favs, I always hate to see cool fish die. GOOG LUCK!!!!!!

NicoleC
11/25/2005, 07:55 PM
Can you post a clear pic or give a better/detailed description of the "spot?" For example, is it smooth and bubble-like, or lumpy or fibrous? Opaque or translucent? Round or some other shape? Size?

If you've had the tang for 3 weeks and it's in the display, it's not been QT'd properly. Kudos to you for using a QT, but 4 weeks in QT is the bare minimum, and for a tang I would consider 6 weeks in hypo salinity.

coralGoodie
11/26/2005, 09:24 AM
I will post a pic today. The lump is smooth and bubble like but not exactly round. Th ePT is still stable and eating, no scratching or anything.

coralGoodie
11/26/2005, 02:15 PM
I've placed the pictures of that PT in my gallery. Hope you could help me identify it. Thanks

NicoleC
11/26/2005, 04:25 PM
I am tentively thinking one of two things. One, an injury healing. He may have scraped up against a rock or something.

Two, possibly lymphocystis. Lymphocystis is a virus, so there is no cure; his immune system will have to fight it off. High quality food and excellent water quality are the only treatments. Either way, I would soak his food in Selcon and feed something really good like Formula 2 frozen. Also, keep the water clean and stable and run some fresh carbon.

If it gets worse or gets red (infection), you may need to capture the tang and treat with antibiotics, so have the QT on standby.

Bebo77
11/26/2005, 04:45 PM
i had the same thing on my purple tand on the rear of him... it went away after a week or so.. tang is doing fine... dont worry about it...