PDA

View Full Version : Refugium?

Myopia
11/23/2005, 10:56 PM
I am planning on a refugium to go into a 40 gal sump for my 120 gallon tank, and brand i should stick with when doing refugium? ALl tips apprecxiated.

K9
11/24/2005, 12:04 AM
There isn't really a "brand" of refugium unless you're looking into a AquaFuge from CPR. Most people just make their own using a Rubbermaid container or another fish tank and some panels of acrylic or glass.

shinosuke
11/24/2005, 01:05 AM
Yea, I just used a rubbermaid container. I would reccomend a glass tank, though. It's hard to get baffles to stay in a rubbermaid container cause the sides of the container slope upwards, and most glues and sealants dont stick to the rubber very well. I also wish I had gone with glass so I could see inside the walls of the fuge more clearly, but it's too later for that.
~Adam D.

Nagel
11/24/2005, 01:21 AM
Yeah, there really isnt any "brand" that I know of.. Is your 40g sump glass? and with water? You could add baffles to it if its not being used at the moment. I've read lots of theories on refugium design, and the one that tends to be most popular is water to flow into the sump, then through the refugium, then to the skimmer chamber, and finally to the return pump chamber..

There's some great threads on refugium design in Anthony Calfo's forum that would give more details and pictures..

Spuds725
11/24/2005, 08:28 AM
there is always the "melev brand"

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

best reference for sumps you can find IMO...

Myopia
11/25/2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Nagel
Yeah, there really isnt any "brand" that I know of.. Is your 40g sump glass? and with water? You could add baffles to it if its not being used at the moment. I've read lots of theories on refugium design, and the one that tends to be most popular is water to flow into the sump, then through the refugium, then to the skimmer chamber, and finally to the return pump chamber..

There's some great threads on refugium design in Anthony Calfo's forum that would give more details and pictures..
Havent put in water yet want to get the whole setup before I do.

jamestheron
11/25/2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Nagel

you want the skimmer to be first then sump,return;)

Myopia
11/25/2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by jamestheron
you want the skimmer to be first then sump,return;)
Can you show me a diagram or pix of that?