PDA

View Full Version : Lighting?

EQCM2B
11/23/2005, 09:03 PM
What are the ,(if any), equivalent to the lighting choices. Here everyone talks about normal fluorescent, ho,vho and power compacts. I understand Normal fluorescent and metal halide but as for the rest I am in the dark. I know what T-12, T 8, and T5 are, so is this some of the same stuff or am I way off here?

drillsar
11/23/2005, 09:33 PM
Well its basically what you want to keep then chosse the lighting for it. I have 130 watts of PC in a 55 gal and can keep most soft corals if I wish.

EQCM2B
11/23/2005, 09:40 PM
I understand that what I would like to keep dictates what lighting I need. What I am asking is:

Is a T12 = considered normal flourescent
T8 = considered high output
T5 = VHO

Or am I totally wrong in my guessing?

drillsar
11/23/2005, 09:41 PM
I beleive thats correct..

theop
11/23/2005, 10:23 PM
The T-number just refers to the size (diameter) of the tube.

T12 is a "standard" bulb size like you'd find at Home Depot for general home use. These are the largest.

T8 is the size of most standard aquariums, which come with a single light strip.

T5 are small diameter bulbs, which are fairly new on the scene and are gaining popularity for aquarium use.

There are normal output (NO) and hight output (HO) of each of these. When you hear of VHO bulbs, it refers to T12 VHO bulbs.

These are all different from power compact (PC) aka compact flourescent (CF).

Take a look here for more info: http://www.aquarium-lighting-guide.com/fluorescent

EQCM2B
11/23/2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks THEOP, that is exactly what I was asking for.

theop
11/23/2005, 10:36 PM
I just found that site with Google, but found it a simple and useful page. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

Thanks for helping me find it.:)