PDA

View Full Version : live rock .... base rock

kamla
11/23/2005, 07:30 PM
For a 29 gal tank..

Do i really need 45lbs of Live rock..

Or can i add live rock and base rock ...

Pros of LR+BR = Cheap..

Noob - Still learning... :)

modemfox
11/23/2005, 07:33 PM
I'd do 70/20 70% base rock and 20% Live rock, but figuring in 1 pound per gallon of water.

modemfox
11/23/2005, 07:34 PM
Sorry meant 70/30 and 30 respectivly.

kamla
11/23/2005, 07:50 PM
what are the pro s and cons of using only LR & LR+BR..

Thanks for the replys

mikeatjac
11/23/2005, 08:31 PM
LR is full of life, BR takes a lot of time to become life. If you are using LR as your Bio filter 30% is not going to get you there as fast. Check this out http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_2/cav2i3/Live_Rock/live_rock.htm
I also think that there was something on RC a while back.

snorkelmark
11/23/2005, 08:33 PM
I don't worry about base rock/live rock - I go to LFS and find the best looking LR they have. I prefer larger pieces that are the branching/light kind. I don't worry about weight either - just pick out the best pieces for my tank. In my 29 gallon show tank I don't have a lot of rock - in fact none of it is stacked. It's individual pieces on the sand but they are each kinda large. I have one or two corals on each piece. In my sump I have a few other LR pieces.

Don't get caught up in base/LR Tonga/Caribbean branching/etc. Just get some cool rock in cool shapes with lots of corraline purple algae with lots of good holes that will hold your corals until they attach and won't allow snails or crabs to knock them off the rock. Choosing LR should not be a major effort - save that for skimmer and lighting and plumbing a sump and flow and stuff. There's enough other stuff to worry about than details on LR.

Enjoy.