PDA

View Full Version : Why is my tank so hot???

OC CJ
11/22/2005, 08:34 PM
Alright, set up my simplicity plus 40 gal with 40 pounds of ls and 25 pounds of lr(so far). i have three chromis in there.

When the lights are off, no heater, the temp is around 82 degrees. With the lights on it jumps to about 83.5.

Why is the tank so hot??

Thanks.

pookstreet
11/22/2005, 08:49 PM
What's your room temp?

Do you have a lid on the tank that's keeping in residual heat?

What about powerheads in your tank that may add heat to the system?

s13silvia
11/22/2005, 09:11 PM
along with what kenny asked:

do you have a sump?

if yes, do you have a insump or external return pump?

if you have any powerheads, how many?

OC CJ
11/22/2005, 10:07 PM
well, my tank is a simplicity plus with the built in wet/dry in the back which means it has a small sump with a 402 powerhead submerged in it.

I also have a powerhead hanging on the tank for more current.

Room temp is about 77. No lid but the light pretty much covers the open part of the tank except for the filtration in the back.

I didn't think the powerheads would raise the temp that much, but i figured a little.

NicoleC
11/22/2005, 10:23 PM
What kind of light, and how much wattage? Any overflow/surface skimming action?

yoyoyoo123
11/22/2005, 10:23 PM
is your room upstairs? what type of lights are you running?

OC CJ
11/22/2005, 10:26 PM
PC lighting, 144 watts total. apartment is downstairs

Tank has an overflow filter and is running a venturi type skimmer.(forgot about that pump)

pookstreet
11/22/2005, 10:29 PM
It may help if you can take a pic of the overall tank setup. I am not familiar with a simplicity plus tank. Is there is a hood or canopy of some sort? If there is, does it have any kind of ventilation or fans?

OC CJ
11/22/2005, 10:34 PM
here is a diagram of the back of my tank. no hood or canopy, just a light sitting on top of the tank.

http://www.marineandreef.com/products/Tenecor_Simp.jpg

pookstreet
11/22/2005, 10:51 PM
Well, this maybe a stupid question but it's worth a shot. What kind of thermometer are you using? Have you checked it against another one to make sure that you are not using a faulty one?

OC CJ
11/22/2005, 10:52 PM
that was the first thing i thought of. had a mercury one and switched to a jbj digital one. Both read the same.

pookstreet
11/22/2005, 11:03 PM
Well, not having seen your tank in person, it's hard to offer any other explanation for the high temp. If you haven't done so already, you can use a small fan blowing across the water surface to help bring the temp down. Evaporation works wonders. I have a small clip on fan that comes on when the lights come on and my temp stays around 78 day and night. Good luck.

E-A-G-L-E-S
11/22/2005, 11:05 PM
77 is awefully warm, no? if a smaller room with that temp., you could easily see those temps-IMO

my plce is around 72....i bet if i raised it to 77 my tank would rise from its 79 hover to 81-84.-JMO

OC CJ
11/22/2005, 11:25 PM
our apartment is warm year round. we've never used the heater.

i'm worried fish won't last at that temp.

I just lost out on a 1/4 hp chiller on the recycler for 60 bucks!!!! just needed to be recharged.

there's a 1/8hp one on there for 150, i just don't have the money. i'll try the fan but i doubt that is going to cool it enough.

pookstreet
11/22/2005, 11:27 PM
You'll be amazed at how well a little fan can bring down the temp. My overall system is around 60 gallons and the clip on fan is enough, as long as you can aim it across the water surface to promote evaporation.

OC CJ
11/22/2005, 11:35 PM
well, i have a clip on 8" fan at my desk at work that i'll bring home and try. it won't be the prettiest thing but i'm sure it will due until i can get a canopy and hood up some nice fans inside it.

E-A-G-L-E-S
11/22/2005, 11:41 PM
that will probably drop your temp. 1-3 degrees but double your evap., so keep up on fresh top-off daily.
You could use a window air conditioner also in Cali., just make sure you still get some fresh air in there as well - IMO

NicoleC
11/22/2005, 11:55 PM
A good glass thermometer is more likely to be accurate than a digital one. Use both to keep an eye on each other.

I like to aim my fan to blow between the lights and the water surface. It works nicely to blow off lighting heat AND encourage evaporation.

Are you SURE your heater isn't kicking on? Those temperature dials are notoriously bad -- I would totally ignore the marks on them and feel to see if the heater is warm.

Meantime, don't worry too much. 83.5 is within okay range for chromis, and it's more important that your temp swing isn't real babd. But you do want to get it down.

OC CJ
11/23/2005, 07:59 PM
I'm positive my heater isn't kicking on, i took it out of the damn tank!!

I'm trying the fan right now, i'll see if it's working in about another hour.

dodgerblew
11/23/2005, 09:36 PM
I have been looking for a clip on fan for over a week. Every store, HD, Lowes, Target, Walgreens etc says no because they are seasonal items. Any ideas?

laverda
11/24/2005, 12:56 AM
I have 6 glass thermometers and only 2 read the same. I have several digital ones and they very also. Consistent temp is more important then the exact temp. A 1.5 degree change is pretty minimal.

Wilafur
11/24/2005, 02:24 AM
clip on fans are for sale all over the internet. just google "clip on fan".

OC CJ
11/24/2005, 02:21 PM
I have a fan but it's just too big so i had to just sit in in the back of the tank (filtration part). I looked all night for a fan and must have called about 8 stores and every single one said the fans are seasonal. what the hell kind of crap is that?!?!? we live in socal where it's 70 degrees year round!

Anyway, the fan that i have worked great, almost too great. My temps lowered from 84 to 78 in about 2 hours and is currently at 78.8. I had to put my heater back in the tank last night since i was afraid the fan would cool it down too much. I need to find a smaller fan.

PS: anyone know a trick how to make a pearl jawfish burrow in the front of the tank? my guy is hiding out in back and you can barely see him.

Wilafur
11/24/2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Wilafur
clip on fans are for sale all over the internet. just google "clip on fan".