PDA

View Full Version : Poll--Stockman Standpipe

kstockman
03/15/2002, 06:15 PM
I am curious as to how many people on Reef Central use my modifidy standpipe design. Also any weird experiences or hardships in getting it to work.

kstockman
03/15/2002, 06:19 PM
That did not turn out quite right.

Option 1: Use the Stockman version
Option 2: Use the Durso Version

The reason for this post is that there seem to be a significant increase in questions about the standpipe and I wanted opinions and experiences people have had.

newkie
03/15/2002, 06:54 PM
I use a 2 stockman mods on my ultralife dual overflow. My gem of advice is that the plumbing output in the sump should be underwater. If it isn't the air in the plumbing can't stabilize and the waterlevel in the overflow won't stabilize.

mtellin
03/15/2002, 07:45 PM
I use a stockman mod on my external overflow, I can sleep again :)

smokinreefer
03/15/2002, 08:03 PM
newkie:really?!?!

the output of my overflow isnt totally submerged and i dont have a problem with my standpipes.:confused:

newkie
03/15/2002, 08:48 PM
Yeah, made a big difference in my setup. But then I'm maxing out my overflow so there could be some variables with flow. Plus my stockman mod is 1" to 1" plumbing. Aren't you supposed to use one step down (so in my case 3/4"->1")? I guess my other comment about the mod is to expect a bit of tweaking. :D
Here is a link to mine: http://www.livinglava.com/diy_stockman_mod.htm

Quiverfull
03/15/2002, 09:19 PM
I have 2 Durso's on my Oceanic 120 reef ready (dual overflows). I have a Stockman on my 92 bowfront corner AGA. I have had Durso's set up for about 4 years and the Stockman since Novemeber 01. I have to fiddle with the air intake on my Stock mych more. I followed your advice and started with a small hole and just added more until I found the proper hieght but because the holes are small, they clog alot more often and need alteast weekly cleaning if not every other day. Curiously enough, one of the Durso stand pipe air intakes has only been cleaned once in the last 4 years and the other one needs to be cleaned about once a month. I wish I knew what the function was that causes the rate of salt build up. I am sure it has to do with water flow through the standpipe and the need to suck air. Thanks for developing a useful diy project and for sharing it with us.

tholts
03/15/2002, 10:39 PM
I have an AGA RR with two Stockmans. I have been messing with the one for weeks and can't get the water level in the corner box to stabilize. The right side drain drops below the tank to an elbow then runs about 4' across the cabinet to another elbow into the sump. No problem, with the air valve in the top, I can adjust it great. The other drain drops almost directly into the sump. I was playing with it earlier this evening and changed the way it empties into the sump - no help. I've tried several different things with no success. The only place it wants to stabilize is at a low, noisy level. If I try to raise it, the level goes over the top and into an emergency drain I have hooked into where the return is plumbed. The connection is with flexible PVC (the other side is rigid PVC) to handle the small bend from the bottom of the tank. Tomorrow I plan to remove the flexible PVC and replace it with rigid with 2 elbows. My thought being that if I slow down the flow maybe it will stabilize. After that, I'm out of ideas. I've also been struggling with a micro bubble problem that I can't solve.

Thanks
Trent

Jeremy B.
03/15/2002, 11:06 PM
Hi Ken,

I've been fiddling my standpipes all night tonight on my AGA 120. I got one in, and had the pipe a little to short, so I put in a coupling and raised it up, no problems. Well, I got the hole drilled in the top, 1/16" to begin with. It sounded like the air was sucking to hard through the top, and a little gurgling going into the standpipe, so I drilled it out to 5/64"....kept drilling all the way out to 3/16" and just couldn't find a nice balance that was silent. Should I try doing away with drilling holes in caps, and put one of the cheap little needle valves on top, and adjust that way?

Thanks for the help!

TinyBubbles
03/15/2002, 11:22 PM
I had my tank running for a year with two external overflows without trying to correct the standpipe and the noise problem (pre-reefcentral)
I switched to the Stockmans overflow just before my tank crashed and was amazed at the difference. For days after the change I would go to the room just to be sure the water was running. :)
It worked wonderfully for me right off the bat. No trouble with the the amount or size of the holes that needed to bedrilled. It really helps for external overflows because it fits so well.
Tiny

Thorsx
03/15/2002, 11:29 PM
I put in a durso only a week ago. Only problem has to do with the flexible pipe used to drain to sump. At one point pipe goes up hill a bit before draining into sump. Stis causes surges into the sump. I plan to swith to PVC to eliminate the problem. But over all much quieter.

Spongebob
03/16/2002, 01:13 AM
I have to admit I feel honored to be able communicate with the man whose name I invoke when describing my overflows...

Anyway, I have two Stockman standpipes on my 120. They were both installed (by HCS3--THANKS, HENRY!) using telescoping fittings that allow them to be raised and lowered.

Things I like about them:
Dead quiet
Don't allow fish, etc. to enter my sump.

Thing I don't like about them:
Require cleaning to keep intake holes free of debris (macroalgae primarily)

Thanks for a well engineered solution, Mr. Stockman.

gregt
03/16/2002, 05:58 AM
You design worked very well for me when used with my 1" standpipes to 1" plumbing. When I increased my plumbing to 1.5" (Leaving the standpipe at 1") I could not get the things tuned properly and had to remove them. :(

BradJohnson
03/16/2002, 06:40 AM
I don't know if this "flies" with most tanks... or if these parts are readily available, but my "almost stock" AGA works perfectly.

I added 6-8 inches to the stand pipe, removed the sponge, and am very happy.

It works like a charm:
http://www.iemg.com/reef/overflow1.jpg

As you can see I simply added length to the stand pipe and now I have less than half an inch waterfall.... it is absolutely silent.

Harpo
03/16/2002, 10:32 AM
My new 135 gal. tank was bought used and not reef ready. It is situated to be viewed from all 4 sides so I didn't want to build in overflow boxes. I had a glass shop drill 2 holes in the upper corners where I put in elbows for return lines. BOY WAS IT NOISY. I couldn't sleep in the adjacent bedroom.

Luckily I found Ken's description of his Stockman's. I mounted 2 modified versions on top of the drilled outlets. It took a fair ammount of tweaking to get the tank water level just right but the noise reduction has been dramatic.

Thanks Ken!

Mark

jas217
03/16/2002, 04:56 PM
Hello Ken, I too use the aga standard overflow, seems like they used toilet tank float with hole and mesh in 1.5 inch pipe. Bottom cut at an angle, hole in top for vent. If snail gets stuck flot raises higher and water still drains, hth

BradJohnson
03/16/2002, 06:08 PM
Ken-

To answer your question a little better, I did try the durso but my stand pipe is only 1" and I had to make the hole really big which caused noise so I put a tube in it to carry the sound away. I ended up scrapping it and modified the stock AGA overflow (above) which solved my problem.

I haven't tried your mod but it looks great and we all appreciate your "giving back" to the hobby. :)

Thanks
Brad

SmartWrasse
03/16/2002, 07:59 PM
Thanks Ken,
I will be using a 1" and 3/4" Stockman standpipe in an AGA, hoping for 1000 to 1100 gph flow.
1) Where do I find a valve to go in the top?
2) What type of pipe should be on the bottom of the bulkhead?
I didn't see the valve when searching that pet place.com.
Thanks, Mike

kstockman
03/16/2002, 08:45 PM
Mike--

1) Where do I find a valve to go in the top?

I don't use the valve on the top anymore. I just drill holes. I do use the greem plastic valves to control the flow rate out of my Ca reactor. I would call TPP and get a catalog. I find it much easier to find things that way.

2) What type of pipe should be on the bottom of the bulkhead?

I am not sure what you mean by this question. Do you mean leading from the bulkhead to the sump? I used standard PVC hard pipe.

SmartWrasse
03/16/2002, 08:47 PM
Yes that is what I wanted to know. Thanks again

Lunchbucket
07/20/2002, 11:58 AM
is there going to be any difference in flow or anything using a 1 - 1.5" version instead of the 1 - 2" version???

thanks
Lunchbucket

kstockman
07/20/2002, 01:12 PM
I am not sure what you are talking about. The difference in size of the inner pipe and the outer pipe.

Lunchbucket
07/20/2002, 04:27 PM
yes, you reccomend using a 2" to 1" converter...i can't find one...only a 1.5-1". so mine is a 1" pipe w/ a 1.5" outter not a 2"

any idea what this would do??

Lunchbucket

gas4544
07/20/2002, 04:56 PM
I am using a Stockman in my Lifereef Slimline overflow box. It is working well and requires very little maintainance.

I will likely be using dual Stcokman's in my new 170-gallon cube tank as well.

Lunchbucket
07/20/2002, 06:55 PM
ok, i am getting random gurgles.....like big surges. everything is quiet then all of a sudden a huge gurgle and the oflow water drops then rises back up then normal for a minute or so

what does this sound like i need to do differently?

pic of my stockman standpipe
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/90222e00/bc/Reef+Tank/nano+reef+tank+(aug+27+to+present)/7+20+02+Sump/7+20+02+oflow+stockman.jpg?bcexYY9AMWbKu_vX

pic of hole in top. is it too big not enough??
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/90222e00/bc/Reef+Tank/nano+reef+tank+(aug+27+to+present)/7+20+02+Sump/7+20+02+stockman+hole.jpg?bcexYY9ASrwbiKnR

view to show how high it is place in the oflow box
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/90222e00/bc/Reef+Tank/nano+reef+tank+(aug+27+to+present)/7+20+02+Sump/DSCF0010.jpg?bcexYY9A7a74O3Br

please someone help me out here :D
thanks
Lunchbucket

kstockman
07/20/2002, 08:46 PM
I can't quite fiugre out your problem. The rise and fall effect usually comes when you don't have enough ari getting into the pipe. But from looking at your pictures, it appears that the hole on the top is qite large. In fact, I would take off the cap and put on another one in which you drill a 1/8" hole in the top. Let it run for a few minutes to see if it rises and falls. BTW--when the water drops it usually goes below the water intake to get a gulp of air and to break the siphon. If it continues, drill another hole and wait to see what happens. On mine I have 3-5 1/8" holes and I have a lot more water going through it than you.

Also, what does your plumbing look like under the tank. This will have an effect on the performance.

If you have a Lowe's or HD in your area, then they should have the 2" to 1" reduction fitting. I can always send them to you in the worst case senario. But what you have should work.

Finally, how did you cut the hole (s) on the internal pipe. In my original version I used a drill. Now I always cut a large opening with a miter saw.

I really should get around to updating my site with new info. That is next up after everything is done with the 300.

Let me know if this helps and if you have other questions.

Unresistible Blue
07/20/2002, 09:07 PM
2 Durso's on my 200g reef

wasabi
07/20/2002, 09:13 PM
I use niether, i went with the "wright silent pipe" my own version. it consists (from the overflow bulkhead up) a 2 inch pvc pipe , with a 2-4 inch flared connector in the top. it just as quiet as either of these other standpipes. the secret to the effectiveness is having the water drop over the edge of the overflow and fall about 1.5 inches to the drain. also there' s a lot less risk of any mishaps. since it's a straight drain. i believe you could adapt this method to any size bulkhead.

---------------------------------- water 1.5 inch drop
\ /
\ / 4inch
\ /
! !
! !
! !
! !2 inch

Lunchbucket
07/20/2002, 09:46 PM
i just couldn't find my drill bits so that is why i used the rotozip bit...which is 1/4" i believe.

it seems better now that i left it a while but if i have any more problems i will get a new 1" cap and do a 1/8" hole and start adding holes from there.

the drain is submerged under water maybe 6" max...that would maybe mess w/ it or no??

i used a 1" hole saw to cut a hole then took a dremil grinding stone to make the hole 1". did one one each side. so i have 2 1" holes

so you think it is the hole or the pumbing??

here is a pic for you:
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/90222e00/bc/Reef+Tank/nano+reef+tank+(aug+27+to+present)/7+20+02+Sump/inlet+and+skimmer+side.jpg?bcOabY9AVEMgD3db

not the greatest but it shows the 1" drain under water a ways

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/90222e00/bc/Reef+Tank/nano+reef+tank+(aug+27+to+present)/7+20+02+Sump/open+door+to+find+this!.jpg?bcOabY9AvcfVSbt7

full pic of the sump

1.5" shouldn't do any dif than a 2" would it??

thanks
Lunchbucket

gfish
07/21/2002, 12:43 AM
Well I was going to try one of these two designs, but when I tried putting a 12" x 3/16" ID. drain tube, 8" down my standpipe. that reduced the sound by about 3x. I was very happy and never added anything else.
I've cleaned them once in about a year.
perhaps ill try the Durso or the Stockman in the future, but this was a great improvement with very little effort.
I superglued the tube inside.

mr9iron
07/21/2002, 03:12 AM
Lunchbuckett, I had the same problem with my Stockman mod, then I figured it out. I also have my drain about 6 inches below the water line. I figure that it was causing some sort of back pressure and that I had air in the line also. So I loosened the coupler and let a little water flow out, which in turn pushed the air out of the drain pipe that goes into the sump and voila, its fixed. For me it was a matter of air being trapped in the drain pipe.

Btw, my stockman mod works great.:D

Lunchbucket
07/21/2002, 09:41 AM
loosened the coupler and let a little water flow out??? what do you mean buddy?

i am gonna get a new end cap and try that also

today it is a steady very quiet gurgle

Lunchbucket

dgin
07/22/2002, 12:13 AM
I'm having a similar problem as Lunchbucket. There isn't much surging as my overflow outlet is an inch and a half above the sump water level. However, I get the gurgling sound even though I have 5 x 3/16" inch holes drilled on top. I've got the exact pipe on my other overflow box (I have 2 on my tank) and its quite silient - the outlet is different though and it doesn't move as much water. Any ideas?