PDA

View Full Version : 180 gallon question...

pabxmafia
11/22/2005, 12:28 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has a 180 gallon tank or larger on the 2nd story of the house..? I currently have a 90 gallon on the 2nd story (with wood floors) with no problems..I am about to upgrade soon and was wondering if I should be worried about the floors giving way...I just moved in to this 3 story town home about 9 months ago and the only place I can really put the tank is on the 2nd story where my current tank is..I can put it in the downstairs bedroom but only as a last resort..I asked the builder if it would be ok and they said it should be since the whole frame work of the building is made of steel...but they said they would get back to me tomorrow with some more details.....in the mean time...hopefully someone has experienced this same stooopid dilema and can give me some advice...thanks in advance!

chevytrks
11/22/2005, 10:28 PM
I would definately listen to the builder on this issue.

theatrus
11/22/2005, 11:27 PM
What is their opinion on water beds?

Steel frame? I think you shouldn't have a problem. If you're worried, place a thick piece of plywood down on the floor to distribute the load.

180 gallons of water comes to 1500lbs, lets say 2000lbs with rock n stuff. If the tank is 72"x24", you have 12sqft of surface area, which gets you 166lbs per square foot. Building codes vary widely, so does quality of construction :)

cutsupremetrib
11/23/2005, 01:19 AM
wow lol

pabxmafia
11/23/2005, 11:10 AM
The tank dimensions are 60X30X24...The builder hasnt gotten back to me yet..Im pretty sure it would be fine though..The construction of all the houses in the area look good..and they all implement steel framing instead of traditional wood (not sure if that makes a difference)..Even at 60 inches long (instead of 72)..you think I'll be good as far as distributing weight? Thanx for the replies!

scotia-reefer
11/23/2005, 12:10 PM
If the builder does give you the ok you better get it in writing just in case something awful does happen. You can sue him for telling you to go ahead.