PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone train BJJ?

Foogoo
11/21/2005, 11:50 PM
What are good but decently priced places around here? How much time does it take a week to be proficient? I want to learn but not sure if I'll have the time/money. Rickson Gracie's studio is literally two blocks away, but I'll bet it's $$$$

peskyfish
11/22/2005, 01:06 AM
You cant go wrong with Rickson Gracie Academy.I trained with Ryon Gracie(Rickson's nephew) and the Gracie Academy in Torrance, since I did not want to go the ''Group" route, I did the private class. I like the one on one training. It is pretty pricey but worth it. You learn much faster. You can add on a sparing class to spar with people with your own experience, not a some black belt Gracie that can put you to sleep in 5 seconds. :)

Wilafur
11/22/2005, 01:14 AM
BJ? ooooh, nevermind.....must get mind outta gutter.

Foogoo
11/22/2005, 02:05 AM
How expensive if you don't mind me asking? And what about group classes? Was this something like once a week?

Wilafur: Don't be silly, no one trains nowadays w/ the internet and all... :O

fc.pride
11/22/2005, 03:03 AM
been training bjj for about 5 years off and on. i took classes in the beginning from various places. never cared about the belt. gracie is good but not as good as they used to be. because of the mma popularity because of t.u.f. a lot more studios are popping up. some of the best ones ive seen are not really heard of in huntington beach. a lot cheaper than the gracie studios. imo, a lot better. watch out for cauliflower ears...lol.

bugsy714
11/22/2005, 05:16 AM
I thought you were into fighting Mike-Pride FC :D

It's all coming together now...

We have a Ralph Gracie studio right next to fish collection in Yorba Linda. Not sure if that helps :D

peskyfish
11/22/2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Wilafur
BJ? ooooh, nevermind.....must get mind outta gutter. :lol: Funny!

SirLight1337
11/22/2005, 11:50 AM
i been training BJJ for quite some time on and off.

I was apart of Pedro Carvallo's school for about a year. Went to franco de comargo ( dont go there for christ sake ) ANd then trained with Jeremy Williams over at LA boxing in south county. I found BJJ to be so addicting i went everyday for over a year. ( this was GI training ) Then went to LA boxing every other day or something to that effect ( this was no GI training )

Its going to be a little pricey no matter where you go. I think the gracie schools have gotten to large to really teach anything. You need to find a small school thats just starting with an awesome teacher. Good luck

peskyfish
11/22/2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Foogoo
How expensive if you don't mind me asking? And what about group classes? Was this something like once a week?

You can get that that info here: http://www.gracieacademy.com/
All the Gracies here are good guy's, no attitudes or anything and I was even introduced to the Master Himself,the Godfather of Gracie BJJ, Helio. That was very cool.

peskyfish
11/22/2005, 11:56 AM
If you are a fan of BJJ and MMA you also have to also check out the museum they have at the academy, Rorion was the one who started UFC, so a lot of cool memromabelia about that and the history of the Gracies ETC.

rach78978
11/22/2005, 06:33 PM
i train at beverly hills jiu jitsu. pricing is on the web site. bhjjc.com

s13silvia
11/22/2005, 07:43 PM
wow, i didn't know we had so many tough reefers in socal :eek1:

rach78978
11/22/2005, 08:11 PM
we have to be, seen the price of nice SPS lately? =)~

s13silvia
11/22/2005, 09:07 PM
i can imagine 2 people grappling over a sps frag at the next frag swap :lol:

peskyfish
11/23/2005, 12:32 AM
LETS GET IT ON!!! :)

fc.pride
11/23/2005, 02:52 AM
generally, its better to have one on one instruction and a good sparring partner. er.. grapple victim to try new stuff on. but i think its best to have good instruction from a no name one on one than a gracie as a mass. there are many nuances in bjj that need to be shown personally.
btw... anyone that touches that sps frag over there gets a free kimura...lol.:eek2: :D

fc.pride
11/23/2005, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by SirLight1337
i been training BJJ for quite some time on and off.

I was apart of Pedro Carvallo's school for about a year. Went to franco de comargo ( dont go there for christ sake ) ANd then trained with Jeremy Williams over at LA boxing in south county. I found BJJ to be so addicting i went everyday for over a year. ( this was GI training ) Then went to LA boxing every other day or something to that effect ( this was no GI training )

Its going to be a little pricey no matter where you go. I think the gracie schools have gotten to large to really teach anything. You need to find a small school thats just starting with an awesome teacher. Good luck :
is pedro carvallo good?

SirLight1337
11/23/2005, 01:30 PM
yes. Pedro and his brother have an awesome school. They just opened another in diamondbar and their main school is in rancho coucamonga.

I was being training by one of their purple belts as a 1 on 1 instruction. He tried to open a little branch of pedro's in aliso viejo. we had all of about 3 students. i was the only full time 6 days a week 3 hrs a day person. got myself like 4 gi's to cut down on laundry lol. no gi kicks *** though.

Foogoo
11/24/2005, 11:49 PM
Wow pricing is no joke. I think fc.pride's advice makes sense though but seeing as how group classes would already be a stretch, private classes will be an arm and both legs!! That's judging by Gracie Academy and BHJJC... Anyone know of any other studio worth checking out in the Westside/West LA area? Otherwise I might have to go the group instruction route...

J-Bass
11/24/2005, 11:56 PM
Ever consider training in FMA(Filipino Martial Arts)? If I had the time and money for it I'd love to train in Kali, Escrima, etc.

Foogoo
11/25/2005, 12:23 AM
Right now I'm putting location as my deciding factor. The Rickson Gracie academy is just down the street. I know there's an Aikido and other martial arts studios in the area but if pricing is going to be similar, I'd rather go w/ BJJ. Where do they teach FMA?

ladylight1337
11/25/2005, 02:26 PM
im gonna take Mui Thai kick boxing next, and maybe a little bit of BJJ to keep sharp.

jiggy
06/12/2006, 02:24 AM
been training bjj and muay thai and mma 4hrs a day, 7 days a week, for 4yrs.. royler gracie academy and coban lookchaomaosaetong muay thai..