PDA

View Full Version : How to catch a Tang in a large reef tank

Kenfuzed
11/20/2005, 08:15 PM
The subject of this post pretty much sums it up. I'm trying to catch 2 tangs out of my large reef tank. One is a Yellow Tang and the other is a blue tang. The yellow has been in the tank for 4 years and the blue 2 years. Being tank veterans they both are very wise to a net and disappear into the rocks if I even bring a net near the glass. I have tried baiting them with Nori, cyclopeeze, frozen food, etc , but nothing will bring them close to the surface for more than a second. I have 200 lbs of rock work with caves that cannot be moved, and a center brace that makes chasing fish impossible.

Any suggestions?

bugsy714
11/20/2005, 08:27 PM
build a trap out of eggcrate & zipties

I just bagged my purple tang in 20 minutes with one.

You basically build a 4"X8" (or big enough to catch the fish if they are bigger) rectangular box with eggcrate & zipties. Then ziptie a covering panel on one end. On the other end you build the trap door. This is a little trickier but still do-able.

The trap door has ziptied hinges at the bottom to facilatate a swivel.
If you ziptie them just right it will swivel until fully opened then lock into place. The power of the trap comes from a rubber band. I'll take some pics of mine and email them to ya. It's hard to describe

I used unflavored floss as the fishin' line since I didn't have fishing line. It attaches to the trap door as a trigger. Then put some nori/squid on a clip and ziptie it to the back top of the cage. Then grab a chair & a beer and wait =)

Gooli
11/20/2005, 09:18 PM
i had to take out half the rocks in my tank to catch a blue tang...sorry i don't have any better news for you...it may come to this (depending on your fish personality)

Lo0seR
11/20/2005, 10:09 PM
Fish corral from foster&smith will catch any fish that fits thru its door. Myself and others have caught everything with it, but fell short on a maroon at local reefer's house, but this maroon was never going to leave a massive BTA about 16" across, he just as soon die in there before coming out of that thing.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9048&Ntt=corral&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

trstange
11/20/2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by bugsy714
build a trap out of eggcrate & zipties

I just bagged my purple tang in 20 minutes with one.

You basically build a 4"X8" (or big enough to catch the fish if they are bigger) rectangular box with eggcrate & zipties. Then ziptie a covering panel on one end. On the other end you build the trap door. This is a little trickier but still do-able.

The trap door has ziptied hinges at the bottom to facilatate a swivel.
If you ziptie them just right it will swivel until fully opened then lock into place. The power of the trap comes from a rubber band. I'll take some pics of mine and email them to ya. It's hard to describe

I used unflavored floss as the fishin' line since I didn't have fishing line. It attaches to the trap door as a trigger. Then put some nori/squid on a clip and ziptie it to the back top of the cage. Then grab a chair & a beer and wait =)

I'd like to see that trap, I'm trying to catch the spawn of satan er um a gold stripe maroon clown who kicks up sand everywhere then turns around and mocks me.

NicoleC
11/20/2005, 10:43 PM
How to Catch Fish and Critters in Displays:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=707656

firerock
11/21/2005, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I think the fishing method is the best way to go.

:D

Cliff
11/21/2005, 12:16 AM
Hey Kenfuzed, let me know if you want to sell the yellow tang. I am in Arcadia, too. -Cliff

Kenfuzed
11/21/2005, 01:08 AM
Yes, I do want to sell the yellow tang... if I can ever catch him :p

dkreef
11/21/2005, 02:28 AM
best way is this: place a food that they both eat well inside the fish net. for me, i used clam or seaweed. place the net inside the tank and let the fish get used to it. it will be cautious at first but then will try to get the food.
took me 30mins. make sure u stand by the net and hold still with your hand. so if it comes in, then u can snatch it.

bugsy714
11/21/2005, 02:34 AM
This is similar in design to my trap:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=481584&highlight=fish+trap+invention

Mine has a single trap door and a rubber band as a spring load