PDA

View Full Version : Lower light / High light corals

Brooks_McClary
11/20/2005, 12:47 AM
I am starting to branch out to the more difficult to keep corals. I have been OK with zoos, mushrooms, leathers, tree corals, candy cane and a yellow scroll coral...

I am thinking of trying one or two of the following:

Staghorn Acropora Coral, Bali Green Slimer - Aquacultured TCN Acropora Coral, Chips Purple and Green - Aquacultured ORA SE-Pocillopora Coral, Green- Aquacultured

Are these OK with PC lights? I have 130w on a 20 gal tank and would place them at the top of my rock work. 10" from the light. Which have the lowest light needs?

Also, I am thinking of upgrading to T5 lights. Would this make a significant difference? The T5s I would use, would be the Nova Extreme lights (96w). Is it worth it?

Any other suggestions for low-ER light Acropora?

EricHugo
11/20/2005, 08:25 AM
Yes, those with non-robust growth forms like those being advertised (but not accurately identified) as S. suharsonoi, etc. Or, alterntely, any from someone's tanks who keep them under low light. I specifically have clones of the same species of Acropora growing under 175, 400 and 1000 for that very reason...to learn about light tolerances and grwoth rates and appearances.

kevensquint
11/20/2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by EricHugo
I specifically have clones of the same species of Acropora growing under 175, 400 and 1000 for that very reason...to learn about light tolerances and grwoth rates and appearances.
Which wattage lights have given the best results thus far? And is it the same bulb with different wattages?

EricHugo
11/20/2005, 06:48 PM
Define results ;) No, different bulbs.

kevensquint
11/21/2005, 11:53 AM
A good balance of growth and color. I don't understand what kind of conclusion you can get from using different bulbs AND different wattages. If you get good growth from a 400 watt 20k, that does'nt mean that 175 watt 20k will give you good growth just because it did in the 400 watt. Sorry if I'm not clear, its clear in my head but the connection between my mouth (fingers) and my brain is not that good. Basically, it would have been cool to see the growth/color difference between XM 10k 175, XM 10k 400 and XM 10k 1000, for example.