PDA

View Full Version : I hate my ASM G3

cubuffs
11/17/2005, 04:01 PM
Hello,

I have my ASM G3 for a month now, and only get about 1/8 - 1/4 cup of skimmate per week. I hear that these skimmers have a great reputation, but I don't know why! I think that my old prizm skimmer was a better skimmer than the G3.

The sedra pump does not pump water past the base of the skimmer and when I empty my collection cup, I don't even have to turn the skimmer off. The water level is so low that I am not worried about it overflowing. I adjust the riser tube to try to get the water level higher, but the water level may increase by a 1/4 inch at the most when I adjust it. This skimmer is terrible!

I realize that I probably have a bad pump, but paying an extra $100 to get a new pump would be insane since I just purchased this skimmer. With the money, I should have bought an ASM or Euro reef.

Please help me before I throw this skimmer away. I would feel bad if I sold it to someone due to its very poor performance.
Let me know what I should do.

dwdenny
11/17/2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by cubuffs

I realize that I probably have a bad pump, but paying an extra $100 to get a new pump would be insane since I just purchased this skimmer. With the money, I should have bought an ASM or Euro reef.

Please help me before I throw this skimmer away. I would feel bad if I sold it to someone due to its very poor performance.

I thought that this was an ASM? If you do decide to throw it PM me first I will buy it. lol there is a thread that has a lot of info that can help. Call ASM and see if you can get e new pump. HTH

cubuffs
11/17/2005, 04:26 PM
lol...my mistake. I was intending to write H&S. Sorry!

tacocat
11/17/2005, 05:59 PM
How deep is the water where the skimmer sits? I believe it needs a minimum of 8" to operate. Deeper is better for this skimmer.

Haole
11/17/2005, 06:17 PM
Have you looked at this thread at all?
Protein Skimmer Production/Improvements (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=554786)
There are some good pointers in there that may help you get this skimmer working properly. hth

daytonreefRob
11/19/2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by cubuffs

I just left you a similar messge on your voice mail, but I thought it would be important to post it here as well.

The Sedra pumps include a 2 year warranty. All Seas Marine is able to replace pumps under warranty for you. I would ask you to cotact them directly and explain the situation, I have had very positive results with this in the past.

There really should be no reason for you to have to buy a new pump when you could get it replaced under warrarnty.

I hope this helps.