PDA

View Full Version : 4 bulb T5 units

brad23
11/17/2005, 11:12 AM
Anyone know who has the cheapest 4 bulb T5 system that has single reflectors?

I know the Finex is one reflector for all, I'm not sure about the new Current Nova lights?

I've looked at the Tek light systems and they are $240+ before bulbs. I don't want to spend $350 on lighting. And I'm not doing a retro fit either.

I already have 260 watts of PC over 75g and was looking for some extra light.

brad23
11/17/2005, 12:51 PM
bump

yoboyjdizz
11/17/2005, 12:57 PM
i know the tek light is the best way to go but if its just extra lighting then why not go for one of the cheaper ones like you mention above

brad23
11/17/2005, 02:26 PM
I know the Finnex is the cheapest, anyone have the current Nova T5?

M.Maddox
11/17/2005, 03:00 PM
If you want quality lighting, you're going to have to pay for it. Paying for quality products is always worth it. IMO, if you can't afford decent stuff, find another hobby. Reefkeeping was definitely out of my pricerange a few years ago. :)

brad23
11/17/2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by M.Maddox
If you want quality lighting, you're going to have to pay for it. Paying for quality products is always worth it. IMO, if you can't afford decent stuff, find another hobby. Reefkeeping was definitely out of my pricerange a few years ago. :)

Thank you for the great answer, I have $1500 in my reef in 8 weeks so maybe you can see why I want to find some cheaper stuff.

That and the wife is breathing down my neck.

The Grim Reefer
11/17/2005, 03:39 PM
Check out the 2 lamp Coralvue retros custom aquatics sells. You might be able to make a hood of some kind for those, they look like they come assembled. that 2 lamp retro will put about as much light in the tank as a 4 lamp finnex due to the good reflectors.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=lt-t5-rt

brad23
11/17/2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Check out the 2 lamp Coralvue retros custom aquatics sells. You might be able to make a hood of some kind for those, they look like they come assembled. that 2 lamp retro will put about as much light in the tank as a 4 lamp finnex due to the good reflectors.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=lt-t5-rt

Have you done any test to prove this?

If they are that cheap with reflectors bulbs and ballasts I might just have to buy or make a canopy.

The Grim Reefer
11/17/2005, 04:36 PM
I've done a test on the reflectors, they look to be the same as the Aqualux Computer Designed Reflector which are almst as good as Ice Cap. D&D sells a retro that looks nearly identical to that overseas. I wouldn't use CV's lamps but the rest looks good. Waterproof endcaps, good reflectors, as long as the ballast is good they should be a home run for the price. Run the lamps for a few months and then get some good ones.

I'll see if I can find other pics of that unit but that looks like a good reflector, certainly better than a flat sheet.

yodawagon
11/17/2005, 04:39 PM
i would take the grimreefers word, he knows lighting. almost too well, in a weird, scary way.if theres one thing i learned about t5s in my ongoing search for lighting, there not worth the money unless they have individual reflectors. VHOs would be another option. they have internal reflectors, and retro kits are cheap, and usually include bulbs.

yodawagon
11/17/2005, 04:42 PM
one more thing, customaquatic.com offers a 5% discount to reef central members, and ive heard they are great to deal with.

The Grim Reefer
11/17/2005, 05:10 PM
I found a better pic the the ATI unit sold in Germany and it is different but the reflectors look similar.

Here is a pic of the Aqualux reflector. The M shape at the top is what leads me to believe the coral vue unit is using the same thing.

http://www.aqualuxlighting.com/46ulrefort5.html

Here's the ATI unit

http://www.atiaquaristik.com/index.php?t5leuchten

brad23
11/17/2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the help I have some thinking to do about which setup to go with.

trottman
11/17/2005, 05:40 PM
get the 4 lamp finnex then put individual reflectors on it!!!! it will still be cheaper than the tek light

The Grim Reefer
11/17/2005, 06:22 PM
good luck fitting the reflectors in there.

brad23
11/17/2005, 08:59 PM
I've decided to go retro, you convinced me Grim. It would be cheaper to buy a canopy and the lights you showed me than buy a 4 bulb tek light system and then buying bulbs on top of that.

I might even go with 4 of the ones you posted up and get rid of the PC. 4 should be enough to keep any LPS.

The Grim Reefer
11/18/2005, 12:19 PM
Once you get them post some pics. Remember the reflectors LOOK like the aqualux ones. If they are and you run good lamps those will put out more light than the Teks.

landragon
11/19/2005, 11:16 PM
the cv t5 retro was my first intro to t5. compared to my satelite they were amazing. that was a while ago. i agree with grim to run the bulbs fro a while and get good ones. but they are to my eye no different than the icecap i have right next to it as far as light output. i actually have yet to see any spotting from salt on them as compared to the ic which have some permanet marks. these just wipe clean. do be very careful with them when putting on or removing the reflectors as the plastic clips are fragile. i have broken two. i also took out the ballast and reinstalled it as it is a bit taller than the other retros out there with the endcaps on the ballast case. the ballast is cheaply made but in 11 hour days with 4 months normal use and 2 months tying together leads to over drive one bulb instead of 2 (WAY BRIGHTER, but i am not an electrician and do not reccomend this practice) it still runs body temp cool and fires every morning. very similar to a universal or advance ballast but i don't think it has end of life protection. I reccomend these to customers at lfs i work at.

landragon
11/19/2005, 11:19 PM
I also really like the snap in style endcaps over the stucchi/icecap push in and twist. There is really no way to loosen the bulbs connection when tightening the water seal collar. icecap take heed!! :)

The Grim Reefer
11/20/2005, 12:35 AM
Are the snapin endcaps waterproof?