PDA

View Full Version : Can I remove my center brace?

ezhoops
11/17/2005, 07:34 AM
wondering If I can remove my center brace on my 65 gal, 36X18X24. I was thinking of maybe replacing it with something a little thinner, maybe a plastic coated wire cable connected across the center.

any ideas

Reason is I just don't like the look or the light it blocks

shanersnyder
11/17/2005, 07:43 AM
I've heard several people saying that they either used a thinner piece of acrylic or glass to replace the center brace.

kirei
11/17/2005, 09:52 AM
Clamp the tank then cut out the brace, then screw in an acrylic brace so that it doesn't create shadows, or my personal favorite is to remove the black trim then eurobrace the tank (wide [2-3 inches] glass panels installed along the rim on the front and back). Personally, I just got 2 DE pendants to deal with the shadows, but I also want to remove my centre brace, it just scares me a little, though many people have done it... I don't trust my handyman skills.

JustOneMoreTank
11/17/2005, 11:11 AM
I have seen pictures of it done to tanks... I am afraid to ever try this however. Do a RC Search and you should be able to find a thread with lots of pictures of examples of tanks with removed center braces that have been replaced with clear acrylic braces to eliminate shadows. Others seem to have had success... good luck. :)

ezhoops
11/17/2005, 11:31 AM
kirei, I would love to see pics of your tank, since its the same size and I plan on having sps

Pilot Fish
11/17/2005, 11:53 AM
The only way that can be done safety is to drain the tank, gently remove the plastic frame and use the desired thickness of glass to reinforce the tank. It is best if you make an entire lip of glass around the tank that ties into the new center brace. Any other way you will end up with a good chance of a tank failure.