PDA

View Full Version : low-profile skimmer

Torpus
11/17/2005, 12:39 AM
I am in the proccess of setting up my 50 gallon tank that will hold about 65-70 gallons with sump and equipment and need to choose a skimmer. It will be fully stocked with many hard corals and a few fish/inverts. I am wanting to set this tank up properly the first time and dont plan on using this equipment on a larger tank in the future... although I know its inevitable.

I was pretty set on the aquaC ev120 until i heard about people having problems with fluctuations...
I plan on using an auto-topoff and the outlet of the skimmer will be about an an inch above the waterlevel in the sump, I dont know if that would take care of the fluctuation problem. The stand has a footprint just under 4'x1.5' and I only have about 22"-24" of clearance inside the stand to cram everything into it including a 20L sump, skimmer w/collector, calc reactor w/co2, waterproof electrical box, and external pumps.
I would prefer an external skimmer like the ev120 to allow for a large refuge in the sump, basically it is about perfect size for my setup because of the small footprint and low height at 18". Are there any skimmers I dont know about, I am also considering a turboflotor if it can be run external I have only ever seen them in sump.

Another brand I just found in my Aquatic Eco-Systems catalog is Top Fathom Protein Skimmers... i havent ever heard of them but they are a counter-current venturi driven skimmer that has ozone fittings and all that, they actually look pretty nice and only run $200, if anyone knows anything about this brand input would be appreciated. They have a 20" tall model that looks like would go perfect with the rio 2100 I already bought for the ev120 i havent bought yet.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/7901/cid/2000http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/7901/cid/2000

Torpus
11/17/2005, 11:33 AM
well, on closer inspection if I remove the drawer from the stand I can get almost 28", about 27.5". The reason i wouldnt want to do that is it is a 1890s buffet that I am restoring. But, i bought it with that in mind, i already have to cut out a shelf that is built into the table to make room for the sump and anything taller than 8"

d4a2n0k
11/17/2005, 01:21 PM
MRC MR-1

www.myreefcreations.com

Great skimmer with excellent customer service.

Torpus
11/17/2005, 01:59 PM
do those work sitting on the floor next to a sump with about 8-8.5" of water? i just started looking at those last night after i figured out i had more clearance than first thought.

d4a2n0k
11/17/2005, 02:10 PM
They can be run in the sump or out of the sump.