PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea?

R Baxley
03/14/2002, 09:43 AM
I posted this elsewhere but didn't get much attention. What do you all think?

I am planning my 250w MH Canopy that will be roughly 36x18 w/ 12" stock. Unfortunately the reflector for my MH is 16" x 13" x 5" (LxWxH), which doesn't leave much room at all for actinic sup. I am planning on using 2x55w PC actinics for now, and getting VHO's later. Can I attach the actinics directly to the MH reflector? kind of on the edge closest to the water? Any reason I shouldn't do this?

Anyone have any better ideas? I want to keep the PC's closer to the water than the MH bulb.

lbussy
03/14/2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by whereami
I posted this elsewhere but didn't get much attention. What do you all think?

I am planning my 250w MH Canopy that will be roughly 36x18 w/ 12" stock.
What jumps out initialy is that even assuming the stock would fit flush on top and not overhang, you are at 8" above the water with most mogul bases I have seen. That's cutting it close from what I have heard. I'm certainly no expert.

Add to that an overhang if you do like most people and a top, you are somewhere around 6" from the water.

Unfortunately the reflector for my MH is 16" x 13" x 5" (LxWxH), which doesn't leave much room at all for actinic sup. I am planning on using 2x55w PC actinics for now, and getting VHO's later. Can I attach the actinics directly to the MH reflector? kind of on the edge closest to the water? Any reason I shouldn't do this?
Is the reflector sturdy enough? Most I have seen are relatively thin metal and if that's the case then no, I would not do that.

Anyone have any better ideas? I want to keep the PC's closer to the water than the MH bulb.
Can you re-shape the reflector? Maybe I'm over-simplifying but I would re-shape it and make some room.

David Grigor
03/14/2002, 03:33 PM
With supplements definately recommend putting as close to the water as possible. One or Two under the mogul socket of the MH and others in far front as possible. However, PC are wider so you block more light from the MH. I personally would just stuff them under the mogul part of the MH and not put any in front until you get VHOs.....

I would not mount to the MH reflector. Heat from the bulb will effect the PC outputs and stability could be an issue...

David Grigor
03/14/2002, 03:34 PM
Other option is to downsize ( assuming an electronic ballast ) to 28W ( 13"L ) PC actnics and mounting perpendicular in between the MH reflectors