PDA

View Full Version : Are Whisper filters salt water safe?

MHannon
11/16/2005, 06:01 PM
I used to have a 30 gallon fresh water. 2 years ago I converted it to salt. When it was fresh water, I had a dual sided whisper filter (2 filter cartriges) that I liked very much. When I converted it to salt the LFS told me to switch to a single cartrige penguin bio-wheel. I came across the old whisper filter in the basement today and was wondering if I could use this filter in salt water. I dont know if the LFS told me to switch to the penguin because I could not use the whisper in salt water or if they just wanted me to switch to something that has a bio-wheel. I took the bio-wheel off several months ago due to nitrate issues. The whisper filters 2x as much as the penguin and has 2x the flow so I was wondering if I could use this filter or not.

Andrew
11/16/2005, 06:08 PM
They work on saltwater tanks. Not the best filteration but you can use them on saltwater tanks. Make sure you don't just sand in it or your burn it up.

Monkeyfish
11/16/2005, 06:17 PM
No reason you couldn't use, but it is far from the best filter for a FO or reef set-up. Your much better off with live rock and powerheasds for water movement. Refugiums and protein skimmers always help too.

oldimpala
11/16/2005, 08:19 PM
I can vouch for the fact that they will work in salt....

In a town I used to live in, my LFS told me all I needed on my 75G Tank was a Whisper 60 to filter for a FO tank... And a MarineLAnd 660 PH for extra circulation.....

The Whisper survived.. But I can tell you, it won't filter very well. I had buckets of Cyano and Hair to prove that..

Now, a few billion dollars later, the Whisper is observing a refugium, and skimmer from the shelf it's been sitting on for about 7 years (If you want it, I'll send it to you for shipping.. :) )

To sum it up, it's Salt safe, but I'm not sure it's real safe for salt, if you catch my drift... :)

-Andy/Oldimpala

MHannon
11/16/2005, 08:33 PM
I have a skimmer and fuge. I just want something to filter more detritus out of the water.

chrisc615
11/16/2005, 11:16 PM
I run one along with a Hagen on my 10g. It's more for circulation and the occasional carbon though. If you need to pull more crap out of the water get a bigger/better skimmer. Or use a filter sock.