PDA

View Full Version : Drilling a tank - how do I know if I can...

WarDaddy
11/16/2005, 02:51 PM
I have drilled many holes in 1/4" glass with a dremel, no problems there...
I want to dril the 90 I have so I can put two 1 1/2" bulkheads for a Dart closed loop pump.

Problem is I bought the tank used, it was a custom tank, and have no idea if it s tempered. The corners are beveled, would that be a clue?

Is there any reliable way I can find out if I have tempered glass on the back panel?

Thanks,
Bryan

elephen
11/16/2005, 04:57 PM
Bump... I'm kind of interested in this. I thought it should say if its tempered or not but not 100% for sure.

Monkeyfish
11/16/2005, 06:20 PM
Ask the store where you bought it or the tank manufacturer.

WarDaddy
11/16/2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Monkeyfish
Ask the store where you bought it or the tank manufacturer.

That would be ideal :-)

"Problem is I bought the tank used, it was a custom tank, and have no idea if it s tempered."

I have no idea who built it, it is a sweet, frameless tank that is WELL made, just don't know about the glass.

Monkeyfish
11/17/2005, 10:26 AM
oops... sorry about that. Maybe if you post a pic someone might recognize the tank and be able to give you more info. A long shot, but worth a try. You should post this question on the DIY forum if you haven't already. Someone there may be of more help.

JustOneMoreTank
11/17/2005, 11:07 AM
Maybe an experienced glass shop owner or operator could tell you. Can you find some local shops and get the tank to them for an inspection? They *might* be able to tell you by thumping on it??? I dunno? Maybe tempered glass would have a different resonance than float or regular glass.
Good luck and keep us all posted. I am interested in what you find out as well. :)