PDA

View Full Version : High Flow through sump a problem?

cplev
11/16/2005, 11:56 AM
I was reading through some posts and there was a recommendation to keep a sump return pump low volume.

I'm thinking about replacing my pump with a stronger one and getting more water flow in the tank. I believe my overflows can handle it. Is there an inherit problem with pushing too much water through a sump?

Craig

d4a2n0k
11/16/2005, 12:28 PM
Micro-bubbles can become a big problem, depending on what size your sump is and how many baffles you have and how much flow you are looking for.

Why not add some powerheads/SEIOS/Streams or a closed loop instead?

drock59
11/16/2005, 01:28 PM
DO NOT RUN LOTS OF FLOW THROUGH YOUR SUMP. :)

You will have lots of flow but lots and lots of microbubbles. Get a good pump and run a closed loop. A big return pump is not needed.

tacocat
11/16/2005, 01:59 PM
I'm a weirdo and I prefer low flow sumps. I'd rather that the detritus settles in the sump versus the tank. That way, I can shop vac all of it out when I do a water change.

drock59
11/16/2005, 03:28 PM
hey tacocat,
does the saltwater mess up the shop vac much? Seem like saltwater and an electic appliance would not be a good combo.

tacocat
11/16/2005, 04:08 PM
I drain my water out of my sump completely. There is only a slight "film" layer left. The shop vac is fine. I just rinse it out the bucket afterwards and let it dry in the garage. I haven't noticed any corrosion on the fan.

Emster
11/16/2005, 09:03 PM
I'm getting 900 gph through my sump and no power heads in the tank. You just need baffles and maybe a filter sock,but i'm not usng one. I get lots of detrius in my sump and have to suck it out every six months with a magnum power filter. Just do lots of research. the only bad thing I can think of is it's not good for the skimmer.