PDA

View Full Version : got 150, now what? lighting, flow,ect..

doc1623
11/16/2005, 10:37 AM
OK, I got lucky and got a 150 gallon tank for $200. I bought it from a guy that was getting rid of several of them from his Chinese restaurant. It is 72x28x18 and heavy as h:eek1:ll. I have skimmed WaterKeepers lighting thread (read some post skimmed through others). Its great and I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge. I do have the link saved for further reading but.... I'm almost convinced you need to have an engineering degree to decide what lighting to use. He did say if you have a deep tank MH's are a must? So I guess going with all t5's is out? How many would I need and what wattage? I am going to build the stand and canopy; so the lighting will probably be a combo of MHs and T5 retro-fits. Any and all suggestions? Also what kind of flow should I be looking at (pump wise). I looked at the Iwaki's and thought maybe the Iwaki MD40RLXT. Oh, and I'm not sure where exactly the thread is, but there was one that was talking about a gravity feed skimmer that was like $30 bucks and should only be used with tanks 100gallons or more. Have many people used this? Does it work? Would be nice to save the dough on the skimmer, if it does (not to mention the heat).

WaterKeepers Lighting Thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=550860)

Any suggestions, on what I asked or any other issues I didn't consider yet would be greatly appreciated. I want to hear from all the experienced reefers out there and try to learn.

Thanks in advance

WaterKeeper
11/16/2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Doc,

I'm with you that with a 28" tall tank you would be better off using a combination of MH and T-5HO (or VHO). For the MH, I'd use three 250 watt HQI, spaced evenly down the length of the canopy. I'd get some in the 10,000 K range. I'd then fill that in with a mix of 36" (39 watt) T-5 mixing some actinic with daylight ~6,000 K lamps. You probably, although I'm not positive can place 6 T-5's in the hood. That should be enough light for just about anything.

Glad you like the thread.

doc1623
11/16/2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks so much, I have your "new fish tank Newbie" thread open on another tab. I have really enjoyed your post and the appreciate the effort you put in, especially considering (at least my) extreme ignorance. I am working on changing that and you are a big help

doc1623
11/16/2005, 12:15 PM
Oh, It does have a bracer (glass) in the middle. Will that affect lighting placement? I think its somewhere between 12" and 18"

MCary
11/16/2005, 12:15 PM
I like Tom's advice. Many people start pushing 400w lights for tanks deeper that 24 inches. I think that is outdated thinking. I belive its from the same crowd that drives monster trucks because they needed a pickup.

I have a 30 inch deep 150 gallon tank. BTW while very pretty it sux to maintain because you can't reach anything. Okay back to the anecdote. I use 10,000 k 250 HQI's and T5 actinics. I keep SPS on the top and LPS on the sides and sand. A coral that looks like this when recieved:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/mwcary_1959/DSCF0392.jpg

Looks like this a month later:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/mwcary_1959/DSCF0399.jpg

For me that's prood enough that I have the proper lighting.

Mike

doc1623
11/16/2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by MCary
I like Tom's advice. Many people start pushing 400w lights for tanks deeper that 24 inches. I think that is outdated thinking. I belive its from the same crowd that drives monster trucks because they needed a pickup. :lol:

Originally posted by MCary
I use 10,000 k 250 HQI's and T5 actinics. I keep SPS on the top and LPS on the sides and sand. A coral that looks like this when recieved:

Do you use the 3 and 6 combo WaterKeeper refered to?

Nice pics, and Thanks for the info

MCary
11/16/2005, 12:27 PM
My tank is 48" long so I use 2 HQI and 2 48" 54w T5's. Yours is longer so the 3 and 6 works better. However I have a 225 that I want to set up someday and it had a large center brace. The centerbrace is glass so if I keep it clean then I can still have the center light, but I am predicting it to be a pain.

doc1623
11/16/2005, 12:34 PM
225 :eek1: , I feel like I might be over my head with the 150. But, I'm taking it slow (lack of money and knowledge). One seems easier to obtain than the other :) . Anyway, how deep is your sandbed and what kind of pump are you using?

doc1623
11/16/2005, 12:51 PM
I saw that sunlightsupply had a 60" T5 (80w)bulb but I haven't seen a retro-fit like that. Would this be a feasible substitute 3 60" instead of the 6 36"?

MCary
11/16/2005, 01:00 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I'm a science, techno, and new technique junkie. Setting up self sustaining eco systems and experimenting with stuff are the most important things to me. So when you look at this picture, I apologize that's its not a beautiful piece of furniture:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/mwcary_1959/DSCF0396.jpg

Picture is old. There has been significant growout and the refuge is full of cheato and calerpa now, but it for illistration purposes.

The tank is 150 gallons. I drilled holes in the bottom on the end and then put in a DIY overflow box. I epoxied it on and sealed the seams with silicone. The water overflows into a 35 gallon berlin type sump through a filter sock. It is skimmed by an aquaEV 180 skimmer (would not recommend, there are easier ones available). I made a Ca reactor out of PVC and extruded plexi tube. With pump cost me about $75. It works but it leaks so I put the whole thing into my sump. I have a phosban reactor powered by a 70 gph power head. I use a Tunzo osmolator for top off. The water is then returned by a Little Giant MDQX rated at 1225 gph at 3 feet. This runs through a SCWD and out the tubes coming from the overflow box. Since the flow is restricted anyway by the SCWD I teed off this pump to feed my calcium reactor.

A mag 7 is located also in the overflow box that pumps through a UV sterilyzer into the above tank 40 acrylic refugium. The refuge is lit by a coralife PC running a 6500 k 96 w bulb. Way too much, but I had it lying around. The refuge overflow via 2 1" bulkheads back into the tank.

Besides the return pump I have a Tunze power head pumping 1600 gph. Two smaller powerheads that I had laying around. The return from the refuge and for kicks a extra mag 7 makes up my circulation.

How's that?

Oh yeah, the whole thing is controller by a Neptune controller.

Mike

doc1623
11/16/2005, 01:03 PM
Fantastic,

Thanks Mike

WaterKeeper
11/16/2005, 06:38 PM
Doc,

Those 60" are OK with the only problem being they don't cover 6" on each side of the tank. Depending on how you set the tank up it may be fine. There are also the 160 watt 72" VHO lamps they sell. Those too could be used. I'm not really sure what you meant that they don't have a retro kit for the 60" T-5. All T-5 lamps use the same endcaps so it is just a matter of spacing. I think the ballasts that run two 54 watters should be able to run a single 80 watt tube. I would ask Sunlight supply for their ballast recommendation before you order however.

doc1623
11/17/2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks WaterKeeper,

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions on the bracer? I measured it last night and its almost 23":( . It is glass but its at least .5" thick like the rest of the tank. Would that change your suggestion at all (the 3 MH and 6 T5s)? Oh, I also saw a motorized track (that carries a fixture). Would that be a possibility or not? On the 60" retro fit... I guess I had my head somewhere it shouldn't have been :p (Was looking for there 60" reflector, just didn't think of using 2)

doc1623
11/17/2005, 10:41 AM
The motorized set up like this (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13974&N=2004+113352)

Could I use a set up like that with one 400w (like pictured) and just run it like 4 hours a day (with the t5s or vhos)? I'm thinking about coverage (with the brace), efficiency, and annual bulb replacement cost.

WaterKeeper
11/17/2005, 11:18 AM
Those light movers are cool but I'm not sure how you could use it in conjunction with the T-5's. The things move pendants so a hood with fluorescent would be in the way of things unless you have a very wide tank. Mounting fluorescent in a ceiling suspended mount is also not very useful as the light intensity would take a major hit moving it away from the water surface.

Without fluorescent you would need two of the 400 watt MH lamps to really get the coverage and output you need on that tank. I've never used one of these so it might be wise to ask around on the Lighting Forum as I'm sure there are people there using them. I think Grim Reefer has used them.

doc1623
11/17/2005, 11:22 AM
Roger

Thanks

I will probable go with your original suggestion then. I was mainly worried about the center MH being directly over the brace.

WaterKeeper
11/17/2005, 11:31 AM
If the brace is clear it is really not a major problem if kept clean.

doc1623
11/17/2005, 11:42 AM
Great,

Thats good news. It is clear.

jdmhonda954
11/17/2005, 11:42 AM
i have a 150 same dimensions with a sea life systems 400 wet dry and a iwaki 40 return with a sea life systems 300 skimmer on an iwaki 20. as for lighting a have a 15k 400 watt halide in the center and 2 5500 k 250s on the sides with 2x96 watt power compacts from my old tank. the lighting blend is perfect and my flow in the tank was good before i even added two seio 1500 powerheads.

p.s.- i have a black brace and have had no problems with the brace getting even hot. my bulb is 13" off the water.

doc1623
11/17/2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info jdmhonda954

I really do like hearing the setups of people with around the same size as the one I plan to set up. Its very informative.