PDA

View Full Version : Coral Hating Clown----Need Advice.

Sniper308
03/14/2002, 04:04 AM
I have a maroon clown that I have had for ablout a year and a half now. Until recently, he has been a model pet and my favorite fish by far. I have recently had to do some rearranging of my tank to increase flow across certain corals. To make a long story short, any coral placed near this clown's "spot" is quickly and relentlessly attacked knocked over and either carried or drug across the tank. I have wittnessed him actually carrying a bubble coral in his mouth which is probably 4-5 times larger than himself. Today, I watched in horror as he continually attacked a toadstool for about 2 hours untill I finally had no choice but to move it to another location. Is this common of maroons or other fish. I know they are territorial towards other fish but I have never witnessed this towards corals, rocks, and other non fish inhabitants. Can he be broken of this bad habbit or is my tank destined to have a big empty spot right in the middle where he obviously will not tolerate any corals? Has anyone else ever had this problem and if so what did you do? I don't want to get rid of him but I don't want him destroying the corals I have worked so hard to raise either. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

LFSguy
03/14/2002, 04:41 AM
I've had this problem in the display tank at my LFS. A gold banded Marroon would not allow any larger corals in "his" territory. I eventually tried a group of zooantids, and he ignored them. Hope this helps. ;)

DKKA
03/14/2002, 09:07 AM
I have tomato clown that does the same thing, he hates it when I put new frags in the tank. I wish I had suggestions for you, but I don't. Sometimes if I rearrange the whole tank he'll leave the new frags alone (and sometimes not) Sometimes I also chase him around with a stick for a good 10 minutes or so (but sometimes that just ****es him off more)
Clowns can be stubborn SOB's, if I hadn't had this guy for 10 years I think I'd net him, place him in the middle of a large hardbacked book, squish him like a rose petal and let him dry there for a good long time.
Dan

neuroracer
03/14/2002, 09:18 AM
HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

"squish him like a rose petal" that is too funny!

I feel your pain, my tomato seriously enjoys inflicting wounds on my hand and if I could only net him... :p
However, he probably wouldn't be so mean if my husband didn't do the stirring stick trick himself...

neuroracer

Wolverine
03/14/2002, 01:58 PM
This isn't uncommon for maroons, which will defend their territories pretty brutally, against anything. The idea of rearranging the tank is one of the few things that will work. But you have to really make a completely different. It sort of resets the fish into a 'new' environment, so she has to re-establish territory.

Dave

Angel*Fish
03/14/2002, 02:13 PM
Maybe that spot would be a good place for an anemone!
- As has been hinted at in the previous posts your "he" is very likely a she at this point... you might consider buying it a mate -- please do not do this without buying J. Wilkerson's book on the subject -- the new clown is likely to be killed if you don't follow her very good instructions and BTW in case you don't already know - mating maroons is different than other clowns, you can get a lot of very good clown mating advice that doesn't apply to the maroons I have wittnessed him actually carrying a bubble coral in his mouth which is probably 4-5 times larger than himself. As irritating as that is - it's also kind of fun to watch... some people put stuff in their territory (that can't be damaged) just for the fun of watching them move it:)

Sniper308
03/15/2002, 04:11 AM
I have to admit, Ive never tried the stick thing but Ive taken a few swats at him with my hand. I guess Im thinking that he's like a dog or something and can be taught a lesson.

Mantisagogo,
How would you suggest I add another maroon without it being beaten to death. My current maroon is about 4 inches in length but very large(thick,heavy looking) for its size. I have been considering adding another but have been hesitant. Also, If the two clowns were to get along and decide to mate, wouldnt they be awfully viscious to the other fish in the tank if they paired up. This one is a handful, I wonder if two would be better or worse? Also, I know you cant go into too much detail but what is different about breeding maroons than other clowns? Seems like it would be basically the same.