PDA

View Full Version : Tank opinions wanted

Bortass
11/16/2005, 07:12 AM
I hope this is the correct forum.

I would like to upgrade my 55 gal tank to either a 90 or 120. I want to keep the 48 inch length for my lights. All I have in the tank is LR and two low light corals and a sea cucumber. So I don't have alot of livestock issues.

Pretty much the only tanks available in my area are AGA. I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a regular tank or a Megaflow. The Megaflow would cost anywheres from $ 75 - 150 more then a basic tank.

I would like to try a sump out at some point.

I see the following:
Megaflow has the overflows and is drilled. However I'd need to get a sump and pumps for it right away.

Regular tank. I'd have to buy an overflow box and those seem to run $50 - 100. However I could wait longer before needing a sump and pump etc. So I could spread the cost out over time.

Any thoughts?

eckrynock
11/16/2005, 07:21 AM
Definitely get the megaflow! Don't even mess with HOB overflows if you have the choice. Personally, overflows are only for people with old tanks that can't drill them. Go ahead and spend the extra 100 bucks for a drilled tank! For a 90 gal tank, a Mag 5 or 7 will do just fine as a return pump, if you go the submersible route, and those don't cost that much. Good luck with the new project!

tm613
11/16/2005, 08:45 AM
definitely get a tank with megaflows and I would go for the 120 if you can, the extra depth (front to back) is significant

use a rubbermaid container as a simple sump to get started with a submersible pump