PDA

View Full Version : How do I run a calcium reactor without a pH controller?

shelburn61
11/16/2005, 12:55 AM
Someone please explain how to "dial in" a CR without a pH controller or point me to an explanation.

What are you looking for? I have heard people say adjust the effluent to pH 6.9? Do you have to adjust this often to keep constant levels?

Why would I want to spend $100 on a controller?
Without a controller I guess you just assume the risk of a faulty solenoid dropping your tank pH?

HookedOnReefing
11/16/2005, 01:40 AM
There is no sense in even having a solonoid if you are not planning on using it in conjunction with a pH controller. You could hook it up to a timer and with a LOT of trial and error figure out optimal settings for the reactor and tank.

Without a controller, it is really easy to take a tank down.

I don't recommend it. Just my opinion.

8BALL_99
11/16/2005, 01:46 AM
Well the problem is your tanks PH doesn't stay the same all the time.. At night it tends to drop a lil.. So if your dripping effluent in your tank that has a ph of 6.5 or 6.9 ect then there is a chance that your tanks ph may get a lil to low..

Some people use controllers in there reactors to keep them in the sweet spot.. As in to keep the PH inside the reactor exactly what they want.. Its harder to do that without one.

Some use them just as a fail safe.. They will set the probe in their sump... If the tanks ph drops below 8 it cuts the Co2 off to the reactor...

I have a neptune Aqua controller.. with a Ph probe.. I have mine in my sump just to make sure the reactor doesnt drop my tanks ph to much.. It has cut my co2 off once or twice..

shelburn61
11/16/2005, 11:27 AM
more opinions?

I was looking at the milwaukee and JBJ regulators. Which is better?