PDA

View Full Version : mrc standard size nilsen reactor setup

saurus
11/16/2005, 12:12 AM
Can someone explain how to setup/intall this nilsen reactor I purchased from a fellow RC member. It is the standard size nilsen reactor made by MRC. I checked their website and their faq is informative but I have a few more questions. I did add 3 cups of Mrs. Wages Lime and filled up the container with ro. I have a auto topoff 2 float switch setup for high (emergency fill shut off) and low (to control evaporation) controlled by 2 granger flow switches which allow flow of the ro according to the level of the water in the sump. Should the stirrer be on 24/7 or just when the kalk settles? I have had it stirring for about 24 hours straight and what comes out measures at about 11.5-12.1ph. I do run a fan 24/7 and I really haven't measured the evaporation rate. The system is a total of 350 gallons. Is it ok just to keep the kalk stirring 24/7 and let it fill when necessary? Or do I need to have the stirr on a timer? I have a aquacontroller which I think can be programmed to accomidate multiple on/offs. Any help will be appreciated.

Clint

saurus
11/16/2005, 09:47 AM
Wrong forum?

golfish
11/16/2005, 11:10 AM
Clint,
Your at the right forum.....I just sold my MRC kalk reactor. Who'd ya get it from?

I ran the stir unit for 15 minutes every 6 hrs. Youmight have a hard time restarting the stir bar with that much kalk in it.

Mark

saurus
11/16/2005, 11:24 AM
jjjimmy (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6106491#post6106491) sold it to me. I had him send it directly to mrc and they replaced the motor and sent it back to me. Other than that it is in perfect condition. Thanks for the reply golfish. It states in the description it can hold up to 4 cups of kalk. I stopped at 2 . So, you recommend a 15 minute stir every six hours? And just let it refil as it evaporates? Thanks again and I still am enjoying the water container.

Clint

golfish
11/16/2005, 02:07 PM
I had to look twice because I sold mine to Jimmy, the guy who bought Larry's tank..

So, you recommend a 15 minute stir every six hours? And just let it refil as it evaporates?

Yes

saurus
11/16/2005, 02:24 PM
So, same guy or not? Is it your MRC?

golfish
11/16/2005, 03:47 PM
Mine was custom made and used a different, more heavy duty stir unit. Plus the guy lives here in So Cal..