PDA

View Full Version : THANKSGIVING deep fried turkey

imsqueak
11/15/2005, 10:38 PM
Anyone know anyone that sells deep fried turkeys for thanksgiving? My assistant and I were talking about her dad who bought a not so good one last year to save on the cost of oil. They just didn't inject flavor stuff so it wasn't so good. We've done deep fried the last 2-3 yrs and I love it but we don't have the family coming this year so I don't want to spend the bucks on the oil. Contemplating... go out to eat, bake a turkey breast, or maybe do some birds myself and sell them...

stevensmd
11/16/2005, 08:57 AM
you can actually get oil fairly cheap at Sams club...
dave

EvilMel
11/16/2005, 09:25 AM
Go ahead and do your own. Just think of the leftovers!

Brent and I are going to his aunt's but we are making our own turkey when we get back.

llpoolej
11/16/2005, 09:50 AM
Yum, you all are making me hungry! I love fried turkey, and fried chicken......

RevHtree
11/16/2005, 09:51 AM
I would love to do a deep fried turkey.

Instructions for a good one???

EvilMel
11/16/2005, 11:30 AM
Oh man, don't even say fried chicken. I LOVE fried chicken. LOVE IT.

Noob: the most important thing with frying a turkey (other than frying it far away from your house/outside) is that you gotta pay attention to how much oil you put in there so it doesn't overflow and send buring oil everywhere. That part scares me to death.

easttn
11/16/2005, 12:09 PM
When you fry a turkey place it in the fry pot, then using water add just enough to cover the bird. Remove the bird and mark the the inside of the pot at the water level. Dry the bird and pot, then fill oil to the line. Preheat then s-l-o-w-l-y add the bird. The liquid level will be perfect. Don't coat the skin with butter,.it will just burn. Injectors are the best for added floavor when frying.

stevensmd
11/16/2005, 01:40 PM
I did one a few months ago...this was the worst one I've ever done...It didn't cook all the way through, even though it was in there for over an hour....I don't think I let it thaw enough, and was still a bit frozen inside..what a waste!
dave

awcurl
11/16/2005, 03:28 PM
Don, I plan on frying our turkey this Sat after the meeting. We are having our TD dinner Sunday. Your welcome to use my oil and cooker if you like. I can also make you a copy of our recipe. It's from the "Favre Family Cookbook : Three Generations of Cajun and Creole Cooking from the Gulf Coast ".
:beer: