PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with the GenX Mak4?

ElCheapo
11/15/2005, 06:08 PM
I am setting up a 90 gallon tank and I want to use one GenX Mak4 as the return AND to power my skimmer. The skimmer uses a 1/2" kent Turbo Venturi and is normally powered by a mag 7 or similar. Is there any problem with using one pump for both the skimmer and return?

I also want to use another Mak4 on a closed loop with an OM Squirt.

This pump is cheaper than many comparable pumps. Is there a catch or is this a good pump?

tangwang
11/15/2005, 09:59 PM
I currently use a couple of them, and I'm happy with the performance, but they are rather loud (fans are loud)....

Matt

ElCheapo
11/15/2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, are we talking Jet-engine-at-take-off loud? Or something more bearable? This tank will be in my office which is across the hall from my bedroom. I don't want to buy something that I will just end up replacing.

tangwang
11/16/2005, 07:12 AM
Its not like a jet engine, lol. But you have to keep the fan clean, or it will be. Just pop the back cover off avery once in awhile, and clean and hair or dust that accumulates on the fan, and you should be ok....

Matt

reefrubble
11/16/2005, 07:39 AM
Matt,you have a PM, Ted

ecojoe
11/16/2005, 09:31 AM
I have one and its worked great for me. I don't think it's a loud pump, its louder than pumps that don't use a fan, but it also adds less heat to the water than those pumps. My tank is in my family room and it has never prevented me from hearing the tv or made me turn the volume way up.

Creetin
11/16/2005, 10:25 AM
They are good pumps, You cant use a pressure rated pump and a OM though. Never tried it, But you can do a search on it.

mc-cro
11/16/2005, 12:45 PM
I have one running my on temporary holding tanks. It plumbed with 1.5 in and 1.25 out to 2 returns. it does a decent job, but IMHO I dont think it could run a skimmer as well. its in the basement, but I have never noticed any noise from it.