PDA

View Full Version : T-6 Lighting

ScottyDon't
11/15/2005, 05:42 PM
Big Als sells some T-6 bulbs called "Lightning Rods" made by quantum aquatics. Supposedly they fire in a regular flourescent fixture but put out lots more light. Anybody use them or know anything about them? Thanks!

trottman
11/15/2005, 06:06 PM
never head of T6? although i know that T5's are geat

deansreef
11/15/2005, 06:06 PM
never heard of t-6 before

Codeman00
11/15/2005, 07:07 PM
GrimReefer has mentioned T6's. I'm sure he'll be here soon.

ScottyDon't
11/16/2005, 11:35 PM
anybody?

Bobby417919
11/17/2005, 01:33 AM
I have heard of them but never use them

Snarkys
12/03/2005, 12:09 PM
they are supposed to be the next big thing ... prolly years out before they are commonly used and there is a lot of info available for them

swashbuckler
12/03/2005, 09:11 PM
quantum offers only NO t-6's to my knowledge now- at least thats all we got at my store..

but they are NOT bright, so until we see VHO versions... it aint worth it.

electrokate
12/04/2005, 03:49 PM
I got some of these with trade cred at a friend's store when they first came out. Bought a 48" reptile bulb and 2 20" actinics. The reptile bulb is actually less bright than a standard output flourescent of the same size, both visually and using a light meter.

The actinics were originally put in 2 20 watt "Lights of America" (made in China) under cabinet fixtures and set over the tank. They blinked and lit unevenly for about 5 minutes and then the fixtures caught on fire. Next tried a standard flourescent fixture made for aquariums and they worked fine in that. I took 2 strip lights and ripped the guts out, tossed the plastic shell and installed them parallel to the halides up at the edge of the spider reflectors. This has worked great for about 6 months, they really light up the coral after the halides are off but they are not anywhere as nice as VHO's. SPS color has improved with them but this could be coincidence.

The 48" reptile bulb also set a Lights of America shop light on fire. LOA is a shoddy company, but I know a lot of people use these dirt cheap fixtures in or on animal cages. Scary. Couldn't find a way to warn the manufacturer-I think they should put a note on the box that you have to use a proper ballast with these bulbs.

Kate

rickburdeniuk
12/08/2005, 10:54 AM
The 48" T6's at BigAls have been referred to as 'NO' but they are 40W each - while T5's are 54W unless of course your over driving them. We're only talking about a 25% difference compared to HO T5's many people love.

In that many people have success with T5's I don't think we can entirely discount these already available T6's. To put it in perspective, I believe that's the same difference between not using a quality individual reflector and the two bulbs.

I think they could be an option for people considering PC's or T5's or otherwise running a tank with lower lighting requirements. A central question is will they have the same or better benefit from an individual reflectors already on the market? I suspect so but I'm not sure.

Any how if not as your main lighting as dawn dusk effect lamps or supplements for your viewing pleasure I'd assume they'd be quite applicable. They are affordable, $17 for 48" Blue Atinic that claims to operate for 10,000 hours:
http://bigalsonline.com/search/?type=catalog&method=all&collection=sitebuilder%2Fcatalog3-1&keywords1=T6+48&x=0&y=0
or
http://www.petsolutions.com

swashbuckler
12/08/2005, 12:47 PM
rickburdeniuk, your reference of comparing a NO t-6 to a HO t-5 is completely false

though there is only a little difference in terms of wattage (54W vs. 40W) the t-5 is about 2 times as powerful as far as overall light output (about 92 lumens/watt for t-5)... a 40W t-6 looks barely lit compared to a 54W t-5...

quantum's NO t-6's just blow IMO..

now a VHO t-6 is a different story- whenever they come out if they do come out..

rickburdeniuk
12/08/2005, 12:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6244065#post6244065 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by swashbuckler
rickburdeniuk, your reference of comparing a NO t-6 to a HO t-5 is completely false

though there is only a little difference in terms of wattage (54W vs. 40W) the t-5 is about 2 times as powerful as far as overall light output (about 92 lumens/watt for t-5)... a 40W t-6 looks barely lit compared to a 54W t-5...

now a VHO t-6 is a different story- whenever they come out if they do come out..

Interesting! I wasn't aware of that! Is there anything you can link to help me appreciate or understand this principal? Luman testing on T6's etc....

I know you can't correlate wattage with PAR between dissimilar technologies; but based on the earlier threads describing how T6's differ I didn't believe that was applicable in this case.

In addition thought I'd read that HO versions of florescent bulbs are just a increase in output that can be directly compared to their 'NO' equivalents on a per watt basis (minus some adjustments for heat).

As an exaple, in that case and using your lumen number a 'NO' T5 (28W?) would put out 46 lumens.

swashbuckler
12/08/2005, 01:01 PM
it has to do with the unique architecture and geometry of the t-5 bulb itself (ballast technology too) AND the fact that its so thin and coupled with a parabolic relfector (especially of german design-spider reflector or the M shape)) the light output is increased tremendously...(like dont look at it too long or loose vision temperarily) :smokin:

i googled and found this, but i coudlnt tell you about PAR as there are many factors to consider in testing

oh yeah and NO t-5 lumens are far less than HO (which is around 92/watt)

http://www.ecmweb.com/ops/electric_fluorescent_lamp_coming/

rickburdeniuk
12/08/2005, 01:05 PM
Good link! I'll read up and see what I can find as well!

swashbuckler
12/08/2005, 01:10 PM
sure buddy- there are lot more knowledable people here than me- i just know from what ive seen personally and from what i read in other posts (check out the massive t-5 thread here somewhere) lots of good info there. :)

Chris@IceCap
12/09/2005, 12:43 PM
Does anyone have contact info and/or a point person at Quantum Aquatics? I think it would be in their best interest to send us lamp samples for testing with our ballasts.

Chris Conti
IceCap Inc.
609-588-5338 X22

electrokate
12/09/2005, 02:47 PM
This is what is on their box:
Quantum Aquatics
A division of Ethical Products Inc
Bloomfield NJ 07003
Made in China

http://www.ethicalpet.com/

If you can, let them know that they set Lights of America 20 watt undercabinet fixtures on fire for me eh? Oh yeah, and they owe me 40 bucks for new ones! (:
Kate

Roland Jacques
12/31/2006, 05:15 PM
Year later and still no good t-6 N.O. bulbs?
I guess they never took up IC on there offer.

pjf
12/31/2006, 07:24 PM
If you are looking for T6 lamps, they are also available from www.naturallighting.com.

My two 55-watt actinic T6 tubes and 64-watt Workhorse ballasts have arrived.

Unfortunately, I am too tired from digging myself out of two snowstorms within a week to lift a finger for my aquarium lighting right now. I'll let you know about them later.

Chris@IceCap
01/02/2007, 08:18 AM
Roland,

You're correct, I have not been contacted by Quantum Aquatics. Maybe they're not going forward with distributing these bulbs, or they never got the message.

Chris
IceCap Inc.

Roland Jacques
01/02/2007, 08:23 AM
Chris, have you tested any t-6 bulbs?

Im very interested in the t-6 VHO 48" 110 watts lamps. i no All Seas Marine Distribute one brand, but i dont no how they perform... I have a 660 Ice Cap that should be good for 4 lamps.

Chris@IceCap
01/02/2007, 08:30 AM
IceCap has not tested the t-6 lamps, I'm a little worried about not having waterproof endcaps for them. The IceCap 660 should operate 4 of these lamps as long as they're less that 4ft each.

Chris
IceCap Inc.

Roland Jacques
01/02/2007, 09:18 AM
They have complete fixtures for them now i assume they have end caps also. ill find out today.

what do you find goes wrong most without waterproof end caps?

Chris@IceCap
01/02/2007, 10:38 AM
Mostly corrosion problems.

Chris
IceCap Inc.

ccoral
01/02/2007, 03:30 PM
FYI I have used the 4' super blue O3 and there are silicone bushing that you can use to protect the pins from moisture if you are using three pc end caps.
corrosion is not the only problem with run the risck of electrical arching

gpodio
01/02/2007, 04:19 PM
I've been using T6HO and T6NO for some time now on my planted tanks. I usually get them from naturallighting.com and have had great results with them. The 40W NO tubes are a nice replacement for those with regular T12/T8 fixtures, and the HO versions are very good on the workhorse ballasts or combined feed from a 2x32W T8 ballast, running them at 64W each. Can't wait to try a VHO T6!

Very similar to T5 in my opinion and without having to replace endcaps for those like me who retrofit everything... :D

Roland Jacques
01/03/2007, 10:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8879255#post8879255 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccoral
FYI I have used the 4' super blue O3 and there are silicone bushing that you can use to protect the pins from moisture if you are using three pc end caps.
corrosion is not the only problem with run the risck of electrical arching
wher do you get these bushings?

Roland Jacques
01/03/2007, 10:34 AM
gpodio

i cut my finger off yesterday and damaged the others bad . i was trying to make a DIY reflectors for the T-6 lamps.

i would like some parabolic reflectors for these t-6. im still doped up from 4 hours of surgery. but i found out the VHO are made BY helios (i think that is what she said) so im not a big fan of helios so i will be trying the NO & HO lamps. and see how much lux they put out on 2Xs OD, 4Xs OD, & IC driven.

gpodio
01/03/2007, 10:41 AM
OMG! That's horrible! I hope you recover 100% from that!

Although not parabolic, one of the reflectors I have found to be very good are the ones by www.ahsupply.com Not sure if they make 4' lengths, but you could use two 2' reflectors on end.

Let us know how they perform.

gpodio
01/03/2007, 10:51 AM
I must be a daredevil or something... I have always used regular endcaps and even crimped wires directly onto PC endpins :eek2: Just used a little liquid electrical tape or heatshrink for isolation.

Besides sticking my finger in the wrong place at the wrong time, I've yet to corrode or arch anything... well at least not my lights ;) I was put to sleep once by an EHT transformer but that's another story...

crumbletop
01/03/2007, 11:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8885347#post8885347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Roland Jacques
gpodio

i cut my finger off yesterday and damaged the others bad . i was trying to make a DIY reflectors for the T-6 lamps.

OUCH! That brings back memories for when I _mostly_ cut off my left index finger (about 1/4 was left). I had it fixed and the nerve reattached, and because I had severed the nerve I didn't have as much pain as you might expect. It's been about 16 months and my feeling is okay but still kind of like it is asleep. At least it still works, though.

How did you cut your finger? Hope it heals well.

ccoral
01/03/2007, 12:29 PM
all seas marine sells parabolic reflectors for T-6 from 2'-4', they also stock the bushings. The VHO are so much brighter than the HO I think you are making a mistake. As bulb cost is the same the only additional cost is the ballast.

gpodio
01/03/2007, 01:25 PM
If price is the same it's hard to justify overdriving the HO bulbs. After all, you can use the same ballast you are going to use to overdrive the HO bulbs to power up the VHO bulbs... Besides other differences, the electrodes in VHO bulbs can tollerate greater currents which will reduce the chance of premature failure.

ccoral, do you have a link to the all seas marine site?

Roland Jacques
01/03/2007, 03:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8885672#post8885672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crumbletop
OUCH!

How did you cut your finger? Hope it heals well.

Trying to cut 2" PVC length wise on a table saw. as it cut through the pipe clamped onto the blade. Stupid me tried to play tug a war with the table saw and guess who lost.

Split second and it had me buy the fingers, index got cut length wise down to the first knuckle. No saving that one. The middle finger got the bone chewed all up( that the one that required all the surgery). and the thumb was missing a big chunks out of it :( .
It was my left hand and im thank GOD it was not my right one.

I work with my hands (aquarium maintenance) & i could use your prays to save my middle finger. Thanks

Roland Jacques
01/03/2007, 03:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8886009#post8886009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccoral
all seas marine sells parabolic reflectors for T-6 from 2'-4', they also stock the bushings. The VHO are so much brighter than the HO I think you are making a mistake. As bulb cost is the same the only additional cost is the ballast.

The only problem is getting the VHOs. No one sells them online and All Seas is being difficult. All Seas marine is a wholesale only. You could get them though a LFS. But they dont even sell to many LFS, none in GA. And even then they only want to sell in big quanitys.

For a bulb that has not been tested par, lummens ... by anyone I hate to buy 10 bulbs that may not be that good.

Have you compared, tryed, tested them? im looking for some data, any writing info on them?

brad23
01/03/2007, 03:36 PM
What makes T6 VHO betetr than regular VHO?

crumbletop
01/03/2007, 03:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8887172#post8887172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Roland Jacques
i could use your prays to save my middle finger. Thanks

Will do.

gpodio
01/03/2007, 03:41 PM
I wish you all the best Roland! Incredible how quickly things can go wrong...

gpodio
01/03/2007, 03:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8887368#post8887368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23
What makes T6 VHO betetr than regular VHO?

They are more trendy :D The "ipod" of fluorescent lighting...

Seriously, I would think the same benefits we notice between T12 and T5/T6 would still be valid when comparing the VHO counterparts in the same diameters.

Roland Jacques
01/03/2007, 03:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8887368#post8887368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23
What makes T6 VHO better than regular VHO?

im no expert on lighting but from what I can tell.

1. T-6 are watt per watt much brighter than t12. by as much as 30% and more.

2. also the bulb does not interfere with it own reflection= more light in tank. (good reflectors have more value with smaller bulbs)

4. I also hear that smaller dia bulbs light rays travel further.

gpodio
01/03/2007, 03:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8887311#post8887311 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Roland Jacques
The only problem is getting the VHOs. No one sells them online and All Seas is being difficult. All Seas marine is a wholesale only. You could get them though a LFS. But they dont even sell to many LFS, none in GA. And even then they only want to sell in big quanitys.

For a bulb that has not been tested par, lummens ... by anyone I hate to buy 10 bulbs that may not be that good.

Have you compared, tryed, tested them? im looking for some data, any writing info on them?

If these are VHO versions of other existing bulbs they carry, looking at the specs of those bulbs may give you a hint as to what the VHO versions are all about. Even with the T6 bulbs, I don't believe we have much info on them either...

Keep in mind that VHO bulbs don't differ all that much physically from their NO/HO counterparts. If I recall this correctly, the density of the gas, pressure and electrodes are the biggest changes between NO and VHO bulbs of the same type. The phosphors used I believe remain the same.

I'll check with my LFS if he can get me some in.

Roland Jacques
01/05/2007, 12:12 PM
gpodio

i would like to see specs on the VHO t-6 PAR & LUMMENS is the main thing i was looking for.

It does not seem that helios really wants to sell these bulbs at all. Helios says contact All Seas Marine and AMS says contact Helios.

gpodio
01/05/2007, 12:42 PM
I know, but unfortunately not many disclose such info on bulbs. It's usually up to us to test and post such data unless you find the real manufacturer and their product code...

I hope they start to market them properly, perhaps they are waiting to roll out new fixtures made for these bulbs? It's harder to sell bulbs that have no market besides the DIY'er who is willing to retrofit existing fixtures and such... who knows!

Roland Jacques
01/05/2007, 02:04 PM
They do have fixtures, I just think it is poor marketing or the product is no good, and not worth marketing. wish i no which.

Have you tried to OD the t-6 HO yet with the "real" ballast? im wondering how it compared with ODing the Workhorse. do you have a meter to test with? im looking at a spectrometer for $30 to test with, i'm not to sure about it. I think Daina Ridel calls it a poor mans Quantium meter. i might just get a cheap $30 lux meter to go with the spectrometer.

i plain on doing some comparasion testing myself. ODNO, ODHO ("real" t-5) and IceCap. I cant find that any one has done that yet.

gpodio
01/05/2007, 02:56 PM
I have fired the T6HO bulbs on just about every ballast I have, I have tried 32W, 55w, 64W, 96W and 110W through the 54W tubes and they performed without surprises... I don't know how long they would hold up to 96 or 110W but they are great on 64W and best of all it's just using cheap 32W T8 ballasts. I need to buy some T5 ballasts to see the difference, I'm spending too much on my new tank right now to do so...

I use my SLRs for light metering, it's sufficient for my needs. A cheap spectrometer would help reveal any large gaps in the spectra but it likely won't tell you much more than that... hard to tell the intensity at various frequencies for example. A LUX meter would be fine in determining the differences between various ballast configurations and OD rates.

If you need to evaluate the bulbs themselves, not the way they are powered, you may want to see if there are any labs, universities or "backyard scientists" in your area that already have the equipment needed to test PAR and give an accurate spectral graph of the bulbs. But soon hopefully more T6 bulbs will become available along with more information directly from the manufacturers... remember when T5s first came out?

Roland Jacques
01/05/2007, 04:35 PM
I did get some feedback on the VHO T-6. Very positive, twice the PAR as HO t-5. sonds good to me.

They out of stock on the longer sizes 72" - 48" they said they be full stock in 4-5 weeks.

gpodio
01/05/2007, 04:43 PM
Awesome. Keep us updated!

thriceanangel
03/02/2007, 03:33 PM
Any news in this, just found this, and I am very interested. Could you take a NO fixture with 2 40w bulbs, and OD it for use with T6's?

kodyboy
03/03/2007, 09:06 AM
Roland,
Sorry to hear about your hand, I hope the middle finger heals well.

pjf
03/03/2007, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9376897#post9376897 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thriceanangel
Any news in this, just found this, and I am very interested. Could you take a NO fixture with 2 40w bulbs, and OD it for use with T6's?
I had a NO fixture with 40w T12 bulbs and 40w electronic ballasts. When I replaced my 40w bulbs with 55w T6HO bulbs, the new HO bulbs only produced normal output. Before selling the fixture, I had planned to replace the 40w ballasts with 64w (the next wattage above 40w) ballasts for high output.

Before replacing my 40w T12 bulbs with 55w T6HO bulbs, the retailer (www.naturallighting.com) insisted that I check to make sure that my 40w ballasts were electronic. He stated that magnetic ballasts may not work when matching (or mismatching) bulbs. Natural Lighting has both long ballasts and compact cube-shaped ballasts for retrofitting in fixtures.

Roland Jacques
03/03/2007, 12:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9376897#post9376897 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thriceanangel

if you overdrive it with Normal Output E-ballast "ODNO" X2 (wiring Two 32 watt outlets into one) it runs High output lamps right about 55 Watts.

There are a few who do this with HO lamps

Like in the "DIY Ice cap ballast" thread.

kodyboy, middle finger and thumb are working pretty good, about 60% Thanks. I just have remember not to try and give the peace sign anymore.

kodyboy
03/03/2007, 04:17 PM
good to hear!

pjf
03/04/2007, 07:28 PM
Good to hear that you are doing better, Roland!

EvilE
09/22/2007, 02:04 PM
I am using T6 lighting--so far so good!! I changed from PC, to T5 NO, to T6 HO now. I use three 54 watt 12k , and two 54 watt blue actinics in my canopy over my 55 gallon tank....

EvilE
09/23/2007, 12:30 AM
bump (I want more T6 talk!!!!)

pjf
09/23/2007, 12:45 AM
I'm glad that the T6 lamps worked out for you. I've sold my MH-T6 fixture but had no problems with it. I was much happier with my lighting after replacing the the T12's with T6's.

I purchased my T6's from www.naturallighting.com but I am leery of other T6 vendors. Aqua Traders and Jalli sell "T6" tubes that seem to be a couple of inches shorter than standard T8 and T12 lamps.

The AquaTrader "T6" (http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=340) is listed as 45.75" in length and costs $29.90. This is very close to a T5 length. There is speculation that these "T6" lamps are actually T5's with T6 endcaps.

EvilE
09/23/2007, 12:55 AM
I have the Aquatraders T6's---I hope they are ok! So far they have been very nice, and my corals are all happy....

pjf
09/23/2007, 01:40 AM
You may be in good company. AquaTraders, Jalli, Catfish Lighting and Custom Aquatic all seem to sell T6 tubes that are closer to T5's in length.

EvilE
09/23/2007, 01:44 AM
Jalli doesn't have T6's.....? Thanks for all your info on them, I appreciate it!!

kodyboy
09/23/2007, 07:10 AM
has anyone actually measured the diameter of their t6s or tried a t5 in their place for an aquatraders / jalli/ catfish fixture? Being 54 watts it sounds like they might be interchangable, but I am probably wrong.

pjf
09/23/2007, 11:29 AM
The differences in the lengths of linear T5 and T6/T8/T10/T12 bulbs are contrasted in Table 2 at the bottom of this webpage:
http://www.mge.com/business/saving/madison/LI_05.html. You will find that in general, T5 bulbs are about 2 inches shorter than their larger diameter cousins.

The "T6" bulbs sold by AquaTraders is closer to a T5 length than a standard T8/T10/T12 length. Here's an AquaTraders "T6" that is listed at only 45.75" long: http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=340. This short of the standard 47.725-inch length.

While standard length linear T6, T8, T10 & T12 bulbs may be plug-compatible, T5 bulbs have a different electrical connector, known as a G5 miniature bi-pin. T6 through T12 bulbs usually have a G13 medium bi-pin connector.

The Jalli "T6" is sold by Custom Aquatic (http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=lt-t6-fx) and Live Rock 'n Reef (http://www.liverocknreef.com/shop/index.php?action=category&id=18&subid=596). The listed 47-1/2" fixture length (http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/itemdetail.asp?itemid=LT-JLCFS40W48F) is shorter than that of a standard 47.725" bulb.

The T6 bulbs that were interchangeable with my T12 bulbs were purchased from http://www.naturallighting.com/web/shop.php?crn=704.

pjf
09/23/2007, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10824541#post10824541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
has anyone actually measured the diameter of their t6s or tried a t5 in their place for an aquatraders / jalli/ catfish fixture? Being 54 watts it sounds like they might be interchangable, but I am probably wrong.
The diameter is not usually an interchangeability issue if you are going from a larger diameter to a smaller one. A smaller diameter T6 can fit into a T12 fixture. They must have the same length and G13 pin connectors.

The wattage rating is also not always an issue if you are driving a higher wattage rated bulb with a lower wattage electronic ballast. A T6-HO can be driven by a T12-NO electronic ballast if normal output is desired from the T6-HO. Natural Lighting rates its T6-HO as 17-24w, 24-40w and 32-55w (http://www.naturallighting.com/web/shop.php?crn=704).

I've driven a 32-55w T6-HO with a 40-watt T12-NO electronic ballast. I was warned by Natural Lighting not to try this with magnetic ballasts. I perceived more light from the T6 than the T12 with the same ballast but that could be due to the larger T12 reflector being used with the smaller diameter T6 bulb. The T12 blocked a lot of light reflected from its own reflector.

Per the www.fulham.com configurator, you can also drive a 54w T5HO with a higher rated 64-watt electronic ballast.

luke33
09/23/2007, 02:15 PM
Has anyone tried to put a IC reflector on these t6's yet?...or tek Should work if you bend the clips a bit?

EvilE
09/23/2007, 02:33 PM
LUKE!!!! KODY!!! My boys found me!! LOL!

kodyboy
09/23/2007, 05:47 PM
I am always lurking somewhere......something about "having no life" or at least my wife say so:)

kodyboy
09/23/2007, 05:48 PM
I have an odyssea dual 54 watt t5 unit, bought if from a dude on here. works fine.

ccoral
09/24/2007, 02:22 PM
just saw the t-6 VHO compacts at Macna. super bright and 4' 200 watts.

pjf
09/24/2007, 02:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10832922#post10832922 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccoral
just saw the t-6 VHO compacts at Macna. super bright and 4' 200 watts.
Were these linear T6 lamps or power compact T6-diameter lamps?

ViaAqua markets power compact T6-VHO lamps. They are sold at Live Rock 'n Reef and Custom Aquatic:
http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandsubcategory.asp?brandID=VA&subcatID=lt-vhpc

ccoral
09/25/2007, 01:39 PM
they where PC linear pins with parabolic reflector.

ccoral
09/25/2007, 01:39 PM
they where PC linear pins with parabolic reflector.

aninjaatemyshoe
09/25/2007, 02:17 PM
I don't know why companies still think PC is such a great idea... Sure, you can get double the output from one bulb. But you're sacrificing the ability to use good individual reflectors, which can almost triple the output in some cases.

Has anyone tried a T6 on an Icecap ballast? I wonder if the T6 VHO bulbs will perform better than T5HO bulbs... I'm thinking of buying a PAR meter so I can try various lighting solutions. Is there any good source for T6 VHO bulbs?

pjf
09/25/2007, 08:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10840439#post10840439 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aninjaatemyshoe
I don't know why companies still think PC is such a great idea... Sure, you can get double the output from one bulb. But you're sacrificing the ability to use good individual reflectors, which can almost triple the output in some cases.

Has anyone tried a T6 on an Icecap ballast? I wonder if the T6 VHO bulbs will perform better than T5HO bulbs... I'm thinking of buying a PAR meter so I can try various lighting solutions. Is there any good source for T6 VHO bulbs?
The power compact T6 VHO bulbs are sold at:
http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandsubcategory.asp?brandID=VA&subcatID=lt-vhpcrb
http://www.liverocknreef.com/shop/index.php?action=category&id=18&subid=596
http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/ViaAqua/

I've only dealt with Custom Aquatics.

EvilE
09/27/2007, 07:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10827449#post10827449 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
I have an odyssea dual 54 watt t5 unit, bought if from a dude on here. works fine. Is that your main source of light for your 100 gallon tank? What corals do you have?

EvilE
09/29/2007, 01:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10857620#post10857620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
Is that your main source of light for your 100 gallon tank? What corals do you have? :confused: Kody--WAKE UP!!!

kodyboy
09/29/2007, 02:20 PM
Sorry, have not looked at this thread in a while
no it is not the only light on have on my 92 corner, I also have a 5x5 aquactinics unit on there as well. I also meant to say dual 39 watt not dual 54 watt (my lamps are all three feet long)

Roland Jacques
09/29/2007, 07:07 PM
Hey guys, has anybody tested these 200 watt t-6s yet?

Saltcreep1
09/29/2007, 10:48 PM
Yes.....

WE NEED TO KNOW THE SPECS AND RESULTS !!

Sorry to yell.........:)

EvilE
09/29/2007, 10:57 PM
Like I said, I use T6 lighting exclusively. I run three 54 watt 12k daylight, and two 54 watt actinic blue--270 watts of T6 in my canopy over my 55 gallon tank.......

pjf
09/30/2007, 12:28 AM
Limited specifications on the 200-watt T6 power compacts are at this URL: http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/itemdetail.asp?itemid=LT-VA29130.

These T6 lamps are not linear T6's. They are twin-tube power compact designs that cannot accomodate individual reflectors. They are called T6's just because the tubes are 6/8" in diameter. That is like calling a PC lamp a T5 just because it's tube is 5/8" in diameter.

pjf
09/30/2007, 09:09 AM
If you are interested in linear VHO products, UVL has a line of T5 "V-HO" products (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searchItem~IdCategory~FILTBUT5VH~category~V_HO.html). A 4-foot T5 V-HO lamp goes up to 85 watts. The advantage of linear bulbs is that you can mate them with individual parabolic reflectors.

Roland Jacques
09/30/2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks, pjf

I thought they were single tube lamps. They did make a 110 VHO t-6 but it seems they never produce them for sale? Maybe i confused Info, Oh well.

pjf
09/30/2007, 08:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10824093#post10824093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
I have the Aquatraders T6's---I hope they are ok! So far they have been very nice, and my corals are all happy....
EvilE,

Have you been able to measure the diameter of your T6 bulbs? I'm wondering if they have a 5/8-inch diameter or 3/4-inch diameter.

Thanks,
pjf

EvilE
09/30/2007, 09:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10876026#post10876026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pjf
EvilE,

Have you been able to measure the diameter of your T6 bulbs? I'm wondering if they have a 5/8-inch diameter or 3/4-inch diameter.

Thanks,
pjf They are 5/8 inch diameter

pjf
09/30/2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the measurement. I believe that they are essentially T5's with T6 endcaps and should have the same great performance as T5's. The slightly smaller diameter should give them an edge with reflectors over their larger counterparts.

EvilE
09/30/2007, 10:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10876767#post10876767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pjf
Thanks for the measurement. I believe that they are essentially T5's with T6 endcaps and should have the same great performance as T5's. The slightly smaller diameter should give them an edge with reflectors over their larger counterparts. Why/how do they call them T6's then?

pjf
10/01/2007, 07:29 AM
That is a good question and the answer may be due to the fact that the Odyssea “T6” marketed by AquaTraders has the same G13 connector found on many T6, T8, T10 and T12 bulbs.

The AquaTraders “T6” has the same diameter as a T5 and a length similar to that of a T5. AquaTraders lists its “T6” length as 45.75-inches (http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=340). This is closer to a T5 length than a T6 which is normally 2 inches longer. The endcap appears to have a G13 connector instead of a G5 miniature bi-pin. G13 medium bi-pin connectors are normally seen on T8, T10 and T12 bulbs. G5 miniature bi-pin connectors are normally seen on T5 bulbs.

I purchased my “T6” bulbs from Natural Lighting and here is what Natural Lighting claims:

“T6 The Next Generation of T5 Lamps, Universal wattage. T5.5 lamps are direct replacements for standard T8 or T12 fixtures. No need to buy expensive T5 fixtures, or retrofit existing fixtures to use shorter T5 lamps. T6 have stand bipin (G13 base) connection, and are standard lengths (24”, 36”, and 48”). These lamps have thicker glass, which are more durable, and operate at slightly lower temperatures than standard T5 lamps. The T6 lamps will operate with T8 electronic ballast, and T5, 54 watt ballasts. The T6 provide 10% to 40% more light output than standard T8 lamps.” (http://www.naturallighting.com/pdf_files/aquarium_lighting_t5bulbs.pdf).

The “T6” bulbs that I ordered replaced the T12 bulbs in my combination metal halide & fluorescent fixture. Although they were 55-watt T6HO bulbs, they produced normal output with the 40-watt electronic ballasts of the T12 fixture. They actually appeared brighter because their smaller diameter blocked less light from the T12 reflectors.

As for lighting standards, a local lighting salesman told me that any shop can order fluorescent bulbs with any connector, length, and diameter regardless of “standards.”

EvilE
10/01/2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I bought a couple T6's from naturallighting.com, and they are too long for my CatfishLighting and Aquatraders fixtures, so They are sitting there unused. The Aquatraders "T6" bulbs seem to be doing a fine job for the inexpensive price though! I have a very healthy tank

EvilE
10/03/2007, 11:17 PM
bump