PDA

View Full Version : mogul bulb on hqi ballast

CRO22O
11/15/2005, 03:13 PM
what kind of life would i get on an xm 10k 250 watt mogul bulb on a hqi ballast.

thanks ,
chris

jda
11/15/2005, 04:44 PM
Half of less. I have never done it, just what I have heard.

There are a few threads on this in the SPS forum. If you can ever get in to search, take a look for them.

jda
11/15/2005, 04:44 PM
Half or less. I have never done it, just what I have heard.

There are a few threads on this in the SPS forum. If you can ever get in to search, take a look for them.

phishlet
11/15/2005, 07:36 PM
I run AB 10k lamps on a PFO HQI ballast and done so for several years now. I notice very little difference between running them on the HQI ballast or my electronic ballasts in terms of useful life. Supposedly you get a couple months less time but I still run mine 12 months. I don't agree with the half or less statement. You could get at least 9 months out of them.

Hope this helps.

shelburn61
11/15/2005, 07:59 PM
Phishlet,
At what point do you decide the bulb is used up?
I would say you are in the minority here, but the more expensive bulbs like the AB probably last a little longer than an XM.

phishlet
11/15/2005, 08:12 PM
shelburn61,

you might be right about the XM life vs. AB life. AB lamps are certainly a higher quality lamp. I used to run Ushio lamps (another high quality German lamp) on my HQI ballast with the same results. These German lamps just seem to keep their intensity for at least 9 months. Corals seem to keep their color for me just fine beyond the 9 month mark. I've run 9 month old ABs along side a brand new AB lamp on the HQI ballast and they both look virtually identical to the eye. I'm sure there is some degregation of intensity and spectrum but I'm still pleased with the results of the lamps after 9 months.

Fliger
11/15/2005, 08:50 PM
Its been explained to me that lots of German mogul socket lamps are MADE to run off of HQI ballasts. Asian moguls are not, which is why they might shift faster. Look at JBNY's results of different bulbs off different ballasts. You get MAD light from an XM 10K off of PFO HQI, but it will shift faster. You get a steady, strong output of AB, Ushio and Aquaconnect (moguls are made in Germany) off HQI - but not insane light - so it probably holds longer.

The PAR from a 250W XM off PFO HQI probably rivals some 400W.

phishlet
11/15/2005, 08:58 PM
Good points Fliger. I'm going to be trying the new Reeflux 12k lamps on my HQI as soon as they arrive. So we'll see how that goes. :)

elephen
11/15/2005, 09:31 PM
I run 20k Radiums on a SLS BlueWave 7 dual 250w HQI ballast and I absolutely LOVE them!

elephen
11/15/2005, 09:32 PM
Radiums are another german bulb to add to Fliger's list. On the Radium bulb box it states for use with HQI ballast only.

SuperNerd
11/16/2005, 07:21 PM
You can also run mogul Iwasakis on HQI and get a white light.

FloatingFish
11/16/2005, 07:38 PM
So why did you guys switch from DE from Moguls? Im just curious because im thinking on going with DE's.
Thanks

Sorry about the off topic.

phishlet
11/16/2005, 08:50 PM
I never ran DE lamps on the above mentioned PFO HQI ballast. I purchased the HQI ballast to "overdrive" the SE lamps.

SuperNerd
11/16/2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by phishlet
I never ran DE lamps on the above mentioned PFO HQI ballast. I purchased the HQI ballast to "overdrive" the SE lamps.

Me too.