PDA

View Full Version : Hospital tank going wrong

Rossini
11/15/2005, 07:28 AM
I moved all my fish from my reef tank into a 20 gallon tank,cos they all had itch.

I thought I would use the hyposalinity method,even though i only have a swing arm hydrometer. So I set the tank up with some sand from my tank,and 80% water from my tank,with about 10 kg of live rock,I used an already mature filter sponge and put that in the internal filter box. Caught the fish.....so stressfull! Had to tear down all my live rock structrures.

Anyway the fish were happy enough for a few days. Then one of the clownfish tried to jump while I was away at the weekend,my lodger saw this and luckily got him back in the tank. but while he was trying to get the fish back in the tank,he accidentley unplugged the heater. when I got back the water had gone down to 68!! Luckily I lost no fish,and have got the temp back up to 78. the fish look alot better but the water is coming up with high nitrites!!! I did a 25 % water change last night,and it was still high this morning. what shall i do?

Please help me.

:(

kevin2000
11/15/2005, 10:36 AM
My 02

Water changes remain the primary weapon to maintain water quality within a hospital tank.

Nitrites are not as toxic as ammonia .. especially in SW ... in most Qt environments the aquarist focuses on ammonia and the water changes necessary to keep the ammonia levels close to zero take care of both nitrites and nitrates.

An inexpensive hydrometer may not be accurate enough to perform hyposalinity ... suggest you purchase/borrow a lab grade hydrometer or a refractometer. Also remember that hypo tanks have less alkalinity and are subject to lower PH/swings .. you may need to add an alk supplement.

Hope this helps.

Puffer Queen
11/15/2005, 11:03 AM
When you place fish in a QT with hyposalinity, it needs to be a bare bottom tank with NO live rock. The cycled/seeded sponge filter will provide the filtration you need.

Hyposalinity kills live rock....this could explain your elevated nitrites.

Monitor your pH closely & buffer as necessary.

Leave your fish in the QT with hyposalinity for at least 4 weeks.

Best of luck,

Kelly

Rossini
11/16/2005, 04:00 AM
Thanks very much guys.

I'm doing water changes every day. I'm going to get a D-D refrcatometer tommorow. I'm gonna get some plastic flowerpots for the fish to hide in,and then take the live rock out.

I'm temped to bring the salinity back up,and treat with copper. I'm not sure,I suppose if I get a refractometer,i can get it spot on. At the moment,the white spot still looks as if its there,and the fish are still scratching abit.

Thanks again for the advice.

:)