PDA

View Full Version : storing RO/DI unit??

pitt_prodigy
11/15/2005, 05:29 AM
I recently purchased a Pureflo 3-part RO/DI unit and was wondering about storage. I fill a 32g plastic bin with water for changes and then the unit sits until i need it again.

I was wondering if there is anything i need to do to preserve the membrane and/or filters in the canisters? They said in the directions to take out the membrane and put it in a plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator though didnt say anything beyond that. Should the filters in the canisters stay submerged in the water in the canisters or should i empty them and store em dry?Any experiences or incite??

theatrus
11/15/2005, 05:38 AM
As I understand it, organic membranes need to be kept moist. They ship from the factory with a special substance to prevent decay for this reason.

How long is the storage period? If its no more than 1-2 weeks I'd say just let it sit.

I use my RO/DI for drinking water when its not filling buckets :)

pitt_prodigy
11/15/2005, 05:48 AM
It will probably be sitting for more than 2 weeks. I'll probably be using it 1 x per month for maintenance water changes. My girlfriend is big into buying bottled water so we always have a ton of it around the house. I keep telling her it is the same thing that the ro/di unit makes but shes doesnt buy it! Oh well...she spends a couple o' bucks on water for the gym, and i spend a couple o' hundred on stuff for my tank! Seems fair enough to me! Whatever keeps em happy!

Unresistible Blue
11/15/2005, 06:36 AM
Won't you need RO/DI water daily for top-off's?

Blown 346
11/15/2005, 08:07 AM
There should be waterin the membrane at all times. Even if it sits, aslong as there is water in it you are good to go. Otherwise like stated above it will destroy the membrane and the filters.

pitt_prodigy
11/16/2005, 02:50 AM
Unresistable Blue.... i run it into a 32g rubbermaid so that i have water on hand for daily top offs....so no i dont need it daily. Maybe once every 2 weeks.

Blown 346.... i never take the membrane out of the system so it should be constantly submerged......i hope. Do you think i should take it out and store it in a bag of ro/di water in the frig?

Thanks to all for the incite.

Blown 346
11/16/2005, 03:42 AM
No it will be fine in the unit it self, I have left mine this way for up to close to a year until I got done being lazy and hooked up a auto top off.

Unresistible Blue
11/16/2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by pitt_prodigy
Unresistable Blue.... i run it into a 32g rubbermaid so that i have water on hand for daily top offs....so no i dont need it daily. Maybe once every 2 weeks.

Blown 346.... i never take the membrane out of the system so it should be constantly submerged......i hope. Do you think i should take it out and store it in a bag of ro/di water in the frig?

Thanks to all for the incite.

I think you should be OK. Yours is a great situation for the use of a flush valve. Flush the membrane housing just before you turn the system off, so the membrane soaks until its next use in water with a lower tds than your typical waste water.

fahz
11/17/2005, 02:55 PM
Hope your using the Rubbermaid Brute as it is NSF rated others are no and can leach ions back into your water. The Brute is the only garbage can we recommend and it must have the top tightly fitted for storage. Also recommend the blue 5 gallon water jugs for safe storage of RO/DI water.

Fahz

Mercer
11/17/2005, 06:28 PM
It should always have water in it? Oh dear.

I just got mine, but it's still new - with no water. Should I take them out, store them in water (in the fridge) till I plan to use them?

Is this for all of them(DI)? or just the RO?

emperora
11/17/2005, 07:14 PM
i have a pure flo lll and store it with h2o in it. according to the directions: if the membrane can be stored by being saturated in h2o in the r.o.unit for thirty days ,if the membrane is not to be used for more than thirty days it can be refrigerated for preservation. place the membrane in a resealable bag with a couple of teaspoons of purified h2o and store in refrigerator,BEING CAREFUL NOT TO FREEZE THE MEMBRANE
i hope this helps!

pitt_prodigy
11/18/2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks again guys. For the amount of money that i spent on this thing the directions/instructions were really subpar.... o' well good old RC to the rescue again. I guess i'll just keep the membrane in the system and im sure it will get used at least once a month.

Fahz.... yes it is a rubbermaid brute 32g, however i did not know that others can leach ions back into the water. Do you have any more info or specifics on this subject?

fahz
11/18/2005, 02:19 AM
I can only tell you about problem areas we are seeing. One of the other places we are seeing problems is containers used in mixing saltwater. Here again use the Brutes if you can, DI water is volitile so to speak and is looking for ions to bond with. Five gallon pails and plastic bins are poor containers for holding or mixing water in for long periods unless they are NSF rated plastics. It doesn't take long for ultrapure DI water to test for TDS in the wrong kinds of containers.

Fahz