PDA

View Full Version : trouble with overflow U tube

anjhof
11/14/2005, 10:44 PM
Is it normal to have to clean out the "U" tube for an overflow every 3 weeks? If I don't, I get an air bubble in there which reduces the flow.

kfisc
11/14/2005, 11:08 PM
very normal, but fixable- it will get algae and coralline in there, too, depending on how close it is to your lighting- an air bubble may be a sign you're not getting enough waterflow over the box- if you can adjust it (lower or raise), you can increase water pressure through the u-tube, plus you can throttle your return pump a notch higher- good luck.

RicksReefs
11/14/2005, 11:19 PM
you'll still have the same flow whether the inside box is high or low. you need more flow (GPH) going thru the tube to carry the bubbles thru or a smaller diameter U-tube to increase velocity.

HookedOnReefing
11/15/2005, 12:59 AM
What do you have to clean out? Bubbles or algae?

If it's just bubbles, increase flow. If it is a 1" U-tube, as is most common, increase flow to about 6 to 700 GPH.

If it's algae build up that in turn causes bubbles to get traped at the top, you have a major algae problem. I have run one for years!!! without ever having to clean it out.

Herbert T. Kornfeld
11/15/2005, 02:07 AM
An alternative to raising the flow (not so easy most of the time unless you buy another pump) is to reduce the diameter of the overflow tube. If its 1.5", go with 1-1/4"...or 1". Reducing the diameter will raise the velocity of the water in the pipe as well, and most places sell U tubes for alot cheaper than a new pump ($1-5).

anjhof
11/15/2005, 10:37 AM
The U tube is exposed to the Halide lights, so I know that causes algae to grow in there. Has anyone wrapped their U tubes in electrical tape to block the light?
I definitely don't have a "major algae problem" in the tank, just normal coraline growth on the rocks and glass (if I let it).

Thanks

RicksReefs
11/15/2005, 11:58 AM
you could wrap it but then you won't know if a bubble is about to shut the flow off and then overflow the tank. i'd figure out a way to block the light with some kind of shield or just plan on cleaning it frequently.

LouZ
11/15/2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by anjhof
The U tube is exposed to the Halide lights, so I know that causes algae to grow in there. Has anyone wrapped their U tubes in electrical tape to block the light?
I definitely don't have a "major algae problem" in the tank, just normal coraline growth on the rocks and glass (if I let it).

Thanks

I wrapped tape approc 1" on the top and painted the whole tube black . When dry I removed the tape.(so you can see inside). When running I place a piece of heater pipe foam around the see thru top.

Lou Z.

Herbert T. Kornfeld
11/15/2005, 01:44 PM
Perhaps instead of painting/wrapping etc, just making a small acrylic box or sheild to sit over the tube would be better...

LouZ
11/15/2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Herbert T. Kornfeld
Perhaps instead of painting/wrapping etc, just making a small acrylic box or sheild to sit over the tube would be better...

I tried something like that.....but with the painting and little cover over the exposed part no light gets inside the tube....so very little grows inside.

Lou Z.

anjhof
11/15/2005, 05:40 PM
That is what I thinking of doing...LouZ...Thanks...
As for not being able to see in it if I painted it black, the top of the tube is so dark (due to algae) I can't see through it at that point anyways. I always know when there is a bubble in there because I get that surface scum building up. That is when I know it is time to clean it out.

nursefry
11/15/2005, 10:06 PM
with painting it, don't you worry about it chipping off into the tank?

sjm817
11/15/2005, 10:15 PM
I have a shield that blocks the light on mine, but I have a canopy. so its pretty easy to do.

LouZ
11/16/2005, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by nursefry
with painting it, don't you worry about it chipping off into the tank?

I haven't found that to be an issue. The tube just sits/hangs there.

Lou Z.

anjhof
11/16/2005, 10:16 AM
I'll just use some electrical tape or something like it to block the light.