PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Mount External Pumps

bkv1997
11/14/2005, 08:53 PM
I'm in the process of setting up a 92 gallon Corner tank and am concerned about space issues.

One of my thoughts is possibly mounting the external pumps in a vertical position on one of the main support beams around the edge of the stand.

Has anyone ever monted one of these vertically or seen manufacture's documentation stating that this is a bad thing to do?????

Thanks in advance

HookedOnReefing
11/15/2005, 01:04 AM
No, I never have, although I have this feeling that it can't be good. I have seen Eheim pumps mounted this way. But I wouldn't do that with lets say an Iwaki or PanWorld or Gen-x pump. All of these have the cooling fans mounted on the back end.

bkv1997
11/15/2005, 05:03 PM
if your stand is 36 inches high and you mount it vertical on a support pole, you would have roughly 12 inches below and above the pump to allow air in for any cooling.

The only thing I could think of was a leak in which case as long as the motor was the up end all should be good.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Toddrtrex
11/15/2005, 05:24 PM
I am not sure but I thought my T2 pump could be mounted in that fashion. When I get home I will look at the instructions to dbl check.

RTaylor
11/15/2005, 05:46 PM
It should work fine. I have seen a calcium reactor on here with an Iwaki mounted vertically.
Just make sure it can get cooled properly.

gath2
11/15/2005, 05:50 PM
I have seen several different pumps mounted vertically for closed loops. There is no reason that I can think of that it would not work.

stgla
11/17/2005, 08:59 AM
I'd like to give this a bump to see if any others have mounted their own pumps vertically (and if so, what brand?).

I am planning a closed loop and a vertically mounted pump would solve some space problems.

Chrisrush
11/17/2005, 09:27 AM
Some skimmer pumps (sedra) are mounted vertically. Not sure about external pumps. Can you make a small shelf inside the stand to hold the pump horizontally?

Chris