PDA

View Full Version : MH bulbs... What's the difference in brands?

HybridFish
11/14/2005, 07:38 PM
I'm starting to look up MH retrofits and I'd like to know what's the difference between the brands of the MH bulbs (EVC, Ushio, Aqualine, Hamilton, etc...). I'm looking into a 250W or 175W Icecap ballast w/ PFO Optimal reflector as the base. The reflector allows me to install 2 PC lamps (which I'm going to get from my Current light fixture) on the side which I'm going to use as actinics. I'm now down to choosing the bulb. I know I want to get one in the 6500K or 10000K range. There just seems to be a HUGE difference in price when it comes down the different brands. Can anyone share any suggestions, experience, or advice on this topic?

VaderWS6
11/14/2005, 07:42 PM
If you want a shallow water daylight look, go with Iwasaki 6500k's (with actinic supplementation). If you want a little deeper daylight look, go with XM 10k. Both are priced in the same range ($55-$65), and have great quality (Iwasaki being the best quality). Oh, and you'll experience the best/fastest coral growth with the Iwasakis just to let you know.

btw, I use 2 250watt Iwasaki 6500k's with the dual PFO standard ballast, and 4 110watt actinic VHO's. Looks very natural, like a depth of about 2-3 feet.