PDA

View Full Version : Longtime affects of hyposalinity?

tommmy
11/14/2005, 05:14 PM
Has anyone kept salinity at hypo levels longtime in a fish only display? How do fish make out?

SAT
11/14/2005, 06:54 PM
This may help:
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinityeffects.html

Steven Pro
11/15/2005, 01:33 PM
As a relatively short treatment (for weeks to two months), it is probably not harmful, but I would not keep fish in hyposalinity indefinitely.

TerryB
11/15/2005, 02:33 PM
There simply hasn't been a conclusive study on keeping marine teleost fish in hyposaline conditions long-term. However, the information available strongly suggests that they do very well. I have personally kept numerous species in low salinity for months at a time and did not see any negative indications. Here is a link to more info and the references are listed at the end of the article.

http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/aquarium_fish_5.html

Terry B

tommmy
11/15/2005, 04:05 PM
It sure would be great not to worry about ich. I am currently treating my fish only tank with hypo salinity.
2 Flame angels
2 blue damsel
2 tomato clown
2 yellow damsel
2 bird nose wrasse
Everybody is ok except 1 tomato clown. Hiding, not eating after day 2 of treatment.

TerryB
11/15/2005, 07:38 PM
Tommy,

Check the pH daily and I hope that you are using a refractometer to measure the salinity.

Terry B

tommmy
11/16/2005, 04:32 PM
“Refractometers we don’t need no stinking Refractometers�

Just kidding I know how bad some hydrometers can be. I took a water sample to LFS to have checked by a Refractometer 1.010 same as my hydrometer. I am going to drop to 1.009 than have it checked again. Than just add make up water.

I'll keep the $80 in my pocket for now.

PH still looks good I will check daily

Terryb I have read your article before but I enjoyed reading it again. Found a post on another site were someone left fish in hypo for 4 months and all did fine.

Clown is eating again Fish seem to get relief right away.