PDA

View Full Version : Meeting March 30th

kmagyar
03/13/2002, 06:17 PM
Ok guys. Sorry to have to push the date to the 30th. I hope that does not confuse anyone. I was thinking of having people over as early as 11:00 in case they want to hit a few shops at the end of the day. Again, there are a number of you that have not seen Randys tanks yet. They are worth checking out. The good part about stopping at Randys is that his house if right off the thruway on the way back to the 90. Randy, post your thoughts on this please.

The apartment is a bit small so let me know if you are coming (e-mail me). I'd say 10 people is the max. But if it falls over you can stop by later on.

Frags:

I have some sps frags already mounted that are available. Ill post pics later. Mostly its stuff that everyone has though.

Ill have directions on my webpage soon.

dmorel
03/13/2002, 06:27 PM
I am definately into going to this one.

I am also interested in sharing a car ride with other(s).

I am in bushnell's basin, three minutes from 90, so if we wanted to do some car pooling there is plenty of space to park vehicles here, or I would be glad to meet somewhere else.

We could share gas or whatever, I just hate driving and going alone makes it all that much worse, so I am keen on the idea.

Anyone interested let me know,

-dm

Playfair
03/14/2002, 08:25 AM
I'm in, but I will most likely have the kids... I don't want them to take up valuable "reefer room", so I'll see about making arrangements, but worse case they can play outside or something...

Dave, I'd be into pooling, but if I have the kids I would need to drive.

dmorel
03/14/2002, 08:59 AM
Dave,
I loathe driving, so if you HAVE to drive... I guess I can handle that :)

Gary Majchrzak
03/15/2002, 08:22 AM
Man, I am heartbroken.My wifes family will be in from outta town for the Easter holiday, and I'll probably be playing Easter bunny while you guys are trading frags. I will make alternate plans to get up there VERY soon{Please note, Randy!}

drtango
03/15/2002, 10:29 AM
We're getting back from the Florida Keys late that day so again I miss the boat!

JT

Stoli
03/16/2002, 06:10 PM
I'm in, if anyone needs a ride. I have a small sports car so I can take one person. Last time I was in Buffalo, I didn't get a chance to stop by so this sounds great. I'd also like to take a trip to Saltwater Paradise if anyone's interested after the meeting.

cperson
03/17/2002, 05:56 PM
Keith,
I'm interested in seeing your set-up and Randy's tanks too. I'm not exactly sure if I can go but count me in for now.

Playfair and Morel: carpool? Is there enough room?

Another carpool from Rochester area?

Stoli
03/17/2002, 06:08 PM
CPerson:

Since DaveM has a lift, if you need one, give me a call. Drop me an e-mail and I'll send you my number.

RandyO
03/18/2002, 02:47 PM
Hey Keith,
Sounds good to me. I took the day off work and my wife will be at some shower or something. I do have to go bowling at 6:00pm. I can show up at your house at 11 and afterwards, take anyone over to my place.

ReeferMac
03/18/2002, 04:29 PM
Jeeze, now I'm really PO'd I can't make it. Could have raced Stoli down the 90, checked out Keith's new tank, _AND_ gotten over to see Randy's finally. I wanna get a good look at some of your other echinphora corals (or whateverthehell those things are called), to see if I should give up my first or second born for some more :-)

- Mac

DanGlock23
03/18/2002, 04:54 PM
I might like to hitch a ride with you if that spot in your car is still free. Benny and I had a good time at ReeferMac's - so let me know (pm or e-mail me) ok? Thanks, Dan

Stoli
03/18/2002, 05:44 PM
Hey Mac:

Don't need any excuses to race. Just need to get friendly with some smokeys so they can clear the way.:smokin:

Anyway, sorry we won't see you then.

cperson
03/18/2002, 08:29 PM
Have you ever noticed folks from the Buffalo area always put THE in front of a road number; i.e. THE 90 or THE 400, or THE 290. What's up with that?

dmorel
03/18/2002, 08:38 PM
This was the first time I saw it (never knew anyone from bufallo before). I must admit I found it to be a bit odd, but then again, I'm from a land where we eat hoagies, a sub is someone who covers a class when the teacher is sick.

RandyO
03/19/2002, 03:53 AM
This is interesting. I have lived in Buffalo for 7 years now and I never noticed the THE thing. I just can't say. "take 90 to 290 to 190 to 400. It just don't sound right. But I grew up in New York City area where roads like 87 and 287 sound normal.
BTW, where I come from we call a sub, a WEDGE.

Playfair
03/19/2002, 08:40 AM
Craig, if you are gonna make it, we can definitely work something out (we are neighbors)...
I'm workin on getting a sitter; since there will be a lot of hopping around, there's no need to put the kids through an aggressive reefing day!

kmagyar
03/19/2002, 01:03 PM
Dave, Christine offered to take the girls to the Aquarium of Niagara if it would be OK with you. She knows everyone very well there. Could prolly get an encounter with the Sea Lions and Penguins too. Let us know.

Everyone else,
Sorry I missed the get together at Kevins place. I heard it was a pretty good time. I worked on the reef again over the weekend. I finally finished the hood. It still doesnt look as good as Playfairs though. But it looks great with paint on it. So for those of you that have seen the tank since the swap, once again, it has changed.

I have 10 people on the attendee list for the 30th. Please let me know if you are comming as I will run out of room soon.

cperson
03/19/2002, 06:29 PM
How about a torpedo, or a grinder?

A wedge is what you use from inside 100 yards.

Or what you got in high school if you were a nerd.

cperson
03/19/2002, 06:52 PM
Dave,
Thanks for the ride offer. I'd like to take you up on it if there's space, or I'll ride in the trunk as long as it's not too cold. How's the new-to-u VW?
-Craig

dmorel
03/19/2002, 07:27 PM
That's right, you have the passat now eh?

Let me know if I can still catch a ride with you and where we should meet.
I guess we have a *few* days to work out the details.

More about food names:
Outside of Phila. PA we had grinders, and I have heard torpedo, but never ordered one that way.
'Course I had "real" philly steaks a lot which don't exist here, and man the pizza this far north just flat out sucks. You get "NY Style" just about anywhere from philly to NYC, but here it's all this gourmet puffy crust stuff (sorry if I offend, but I am jonesing for some real 'za in weird and unusual ways) .

Looking forward to seeing the buffalo sites, never been there, only driven past on my way to Canada.

sschafer
03/19/2002, 07:57 PM
I'm hoping to be able to make it. It all depends on how things go in the next week.

-Steve

cperson
03/19/2002, 08:03 PM
DM,
Try Caio, in Pittsford. They have very good thin crust, wood-fired-oven pizza. I think Benucci's in Pittsford plaza does it the same way. Also try Cam's New York Pizza in Webster.

Bet you're jonesin' for a "steak wid" from Pat's.

dmorel
03/19/2002, 08:19 PM
Gino's on 9th, maybe 7th, but down there south of South st...
Oh man, the best steaks perhaps in the world....

Ugh, I am getting homesick.

Caio and Benucci's are both good, but they have that gourmet action to them. I love Benucci's for a good meal, just not the pizza.

I am getting shipped to webster in the next couple of weeks
(yeah, moving out of an office to a cube and tripling my morning drive, you bet I am excited...)
I will have to try out Cam's when I get there.

The stuff I am looking for is simple pizza pizza.
The kind of slices you get at the street corner pizzeria two slices and coke for $4 bucks. (Well maybe not THAT greasy).
They came close at some place I went to with a co-worker that I can't remember the name of but it was down by the "twelve corners" (I think that's what it's called) on winton... There was a starbucks in the same plaza and the place was packed.
They had a little too much artichoke and olive oil type stuff for my tastes, but the plain was as close to NY style as anything I have come across so far.

Funny how little this has to do with reefs :)

Stoli
03/19/2002, 08:31 PM
Dave:

If you like real NYC pizza (and I'm from LI so I know the real thing), go to the Pizza Stop on State Street across from the Federal Bldg downtown. The owner grew up in Bensonhurst and know's how to throw a pizza (for those of you from upstate, spinning the pizza on your knuckles). Everyone I've brought there loves it. If you're ever downtown during the week, come and see me and we can grab a slice together.

Stoli.

dmorel
03/19/2002, 08:39 PM
Stoli,
I haven't been downtown in months, but I will make a point one day soon and we shall have a couple of slices. I owe you at least lunch for the reactor set up help.

ReeferMac
03/19/2002, 08:48 PM
(for those of you from upstate, spinning the pizza on your knuckles)

LOL!! You should have seen the look's on the old Italian lady's faces when they saw this tall Irish Lad from Buffalo start whipping the stuff around his head in the Kitchen at the restaurant I used to work at in college! You'd be amazed what us upstater's know about ;-)

- Mac

ReeferMac
03/19/2002, 08:50 PM
Dave,

My best memories of Philly are from Daydreams, and since this is a family chat board, I'll refrain from commenting :bum:

- Mac

Stoli
03/19/2002, 10:22 PM
Listen you upstaters.

Until you learn that pop is something that you get in the nose when you look at another guys woman and that you drink soda, you've got a ways to go.:D

Dave: I'm always looking for an excuse to grab a slice. Call me when you get the chance.

saltwaterfishlover
03/19/2002, 10:57 PM
hmm I'll have a grinder and a birch beer soda and a side order of new england clam chowdah

KBCobra
03/21/2002, 10:35 AM
Keith 2 other people and I would like to stop by at whatever time was best.

Let me know

-Pat

cperson
03/22/2002, 12:06 AM
in the south everything's a coke, you just specify out the flavor. this may have come from the flavored cokes they used to jerk in the 40's and 50's.

in the noatheast it's a tonic (pronounced tawnic).

in rahchester, syracuse, etc. is pop (pronounced pahp).

in great briton it's a carbonated soft drink (how boring!)

in canada you order water with or without gas.

in afghanistan... who cares.

kmagyar
03/26/2002, 12:08 AM
I have a link to a mapquest map at my homepage. BTW may site was updated tonight. Check it out.

cperson
03/26/2002, 11:15 AM
Keith,
Your setup looks really great. I'm amazed every time I see pictures of your reef tank. I can't wait to see it in person. Thanks for directions.

Dave and Dave: What time are we going to leave? Can we all fit into one car?

cperson
03/26/2002, 11:22 AM
Dave,
Thanks for having me over the other day. The galaxia is doing really well. There were 4 single stalks that broke off the main chunk you gave me that I stuck in the sand. They look like beach party torches, it's kinda cool. I wonder how they will grow? The purple mushroom you gave me is a different color purple than the other one I got from Charles, which is budding. Soon maybe I can clip off a head or 2 for you if you (or anyone else) wants one.

dmorel
03/26/2002, 11:31 AM
Craig,
glad the frags are working out for you.
The mother colony seems to be doing fine in recovery.
It's a cool piece, just watch the tracers.

As for Saturday, I can leave any time.
My wife and my son are heading out of town for the weekend,
I get to stay behind and go reefing :) (She is a very good woman).

Let me know what you guys are thinking.

-dm

Playfair
03/26/2002, 12:23 PM
OK Dave, here's what I am thinkin...

I grab Craig around 9, drop the kids off in Fairport, then probably pic you up, doing a quick check out of your tank :) If you're not into showing it off that day, then perhaps we can meet? Call me.

Then we head to Buffalo by 9:45, getting to Keiths at 11. The rest is somewhat flexible, but I'd like to be back around 5 (checking on extended child care tonight). If we stayed at keiths till 1:30, hit the LFS's for 1/2 hr, then go to Randy's by 2:30 (if he'll be there) we can be on the road at 3:30. WHew! Agressive, yet satisfying...

Lemme know what you guys think.

dmorel
03/26/2002, 12:32 PM
Dave (and Craig),
I love that plan.

Cup of coffee at my place while taking a look at the tank, and then on the road sound about right?

Craig was at my place on Sunday, so he should be able to direct you there, if not let me know and I will PM you the directions (it's simple).

This should be a fun trip.

Thanks,
-dm

KBCobra
03/26/2002, 01:08 PM
Keith -
What is a good time to stop by on the 30th ?

-Pat

cperson
03/26/2002, 02:18 PM
DaveP and DaveM,

I'm down for that plan. I'd like to be back by 5 also. Is Pet's Plus worth the trouble on this trip? Seems kinda far away for the proposed schedule. Or is Randy's place near Lockport too. I forgot where he lives.

DaveP, if you are going to drop off your kids I can meet you at DaveM's around 9:30 and save you some time on either end of the trip.

kmagyar
03/26/2002, 06:30 PM
Pat, If your going to bring a couple guys with you, you might want to show up at a bit after noon. People may be making some runs to the local shops after they have been at my place for a while.

Stoli
03/26/2002, 06:56 PM
Keith:

Is there anything I can bring. Beer, chips, a stripper???

Stoli

kmagyar
03/26/2002, 10:09 PM
Ill have some beer (usually Sam Adams) and some snacks too. I want sure if I should get pizza. Everyone usually hits Mighty Taco when they come to town anyways. Yes, feel free to bring a stripper.

cperson
03/26/2002, 10:27 PM
What type of sandwich is a stripper? Strip steak? Or is that a pizza with the toppings stripped off?

BCooksey
03/26/2002, 10:38 PM
Watch out for the tuna and the cheese

RandyO
03/28/2002, 01:12 AM
Hi Guys
I can accommodate your needs on Sat. I will be at Keith's around 11AM. We can talk then about a plan then.

afss
03/29/2002, 10:13 AM
I would love to come over as am planing on being in tonowanda tommorow anyway.
Dave are you still going.. what time do you plan on being there?

Scott

Gary Majchrzak
03/29/2002, 10:20 AM
It's difficult to read this thread while preparing my Easter bunny suit.You guys have fun and fill me in on what I missed.Anyone up for a hard-boiled egg???? :frog:

Playfair
03/29/2002, 08:23 PM
Hey Scott- yeah, I'll be there at 11 sharp. Prolly stay for 1.5-2.0 hrs, hit the LFS's and Mighty Taco (not necessarilly in that order) then see if we can bug Randy on the way home...

Gary, make sure you post a pic of you feeding the fish in that bunny suit, we need to update the club web page :lol:

Gary Majchrzak
03/29/2002, 08:59 PM
Yeah, go laugh your wrasse off at my expense!!!

kmagyar
03/29/2002, 09:27 PM
Dave, Dont forget then polyps if you can. I tried to call. your line is busy.

afss
03/30/2002, 12:10 AM
cool dave.. i plan on trying to be there sometime around 11-12,. look forward to seeing you again
Scott

afss
03/30/2002, 08:44 PM
Just wanted to thank keith for his hospitality, and compliment him on his sweet looking tank.
I'll be in touch about friday.
Scott

dmorel
03/30/2002, 08:47 PM
DOH!
I was just staring a thread on this!
You beat me to it Scott!