PDA

View Full Version : Stripping a Jebo Light unit need help

shawnaus17
11/13/2005, 11:13 PM
I have a 4x55 Jebo unit how would i strip the unit and use the ballast. I have never done wiring and need as much help as possible. I also have a 2x65 unit as well I would like to use.

shawnaus17
11/14/2005, 12:12 AM
bump

chipmaker
11/14/2005, 09:32 AM
I have never seen how a Jebo is wired but it should matter not. I would take each wire and put a marker on it using maskiing tape. Label that tag with a number or letter and make a note as to what it goes to and comes from. If its necessary to cut any wires, then put two tags on that wire with a gap of about 1/4" of so between them and label them accordiingly and cut between the tags. On reassembly just match tag numbers/letters.....Sketch out a diagram of wires and how they go and make detailed notes as to wire color, components etc.......Its not hard.

shawnaus17
11/14/2005, 05:06 PM
Does no one have any picture of wiring I NEED PICTURES!!!

jasonj90
11/14/2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by shawnaus17
Does no one have any picture of wiring I NEED PICTURES!!!
well just like CHIPMAKER said just keep everything together. make sure to keep wires that you cut orderly, tag them if you need to. if your not comfortable tearing the unit apart you might want to get someone to do it for you. but basically as for your schematic your probably not going to find one or needless to say pictures. most people dont photograph all their DIYs. i tore my coralife lunar aqualight fixture about 3 months ago and it is alot of wires to deal with, but once you have everything tagged and separated as they were taken out, the process wasnt that difficult. just make sure that you solder all your connections and use some shrinkwrap or some good electrical tape. i wish i could help you more, take some pics of what your working with and ill see if i cant decipher your wiring.

shawnaus17
11/14/2005, 10:11 PM
Do I still need the on/off switches?

Tang-itis
11/14/2005, 10:29 PM
I've retro'd two of these things. You won't need the switches if you run them on timers or want to continue to plug-in and unplug them daily.
What you will need is a tiny flat head screwdriver because the wires are held together by terminals that screw in. There are a lot more wires in there then you'll end up needing. I ditched the 3 prong cord that comes with it and wired each ballast into a couple old 2 prong extension cords I had laying around and cut.
I can't send you any pictures because I am at school and my tank is at home.
The first one took a couple days to take apart and rewire but probably took around 2 and a half hours. The second one took around an hour and it would probably take around an hour to do it again.
One last tip, the four screws on the ends of the fixture are a little hard to get to come out all the way. I snapped one of the plastic ends off on the first one I took apart.

shawnaus17
12/14/2005, 06:31 AM
Do you think I will need new endcaps because the Jebo unit directly plugs into the bulb

shawnaus17
12/14/2005, 01:13 PM
anyone

Tang-itis
12/14/2005, 03:36 PM
It would be safer to have end caps. The older models had plugs but I definately wouldn't consider them water proof. If it's just the four wires that go onto the pins of the bulb and not the ones with the end caps then I'd definately spend a couple bucks and get the endcaps.

TroyPierce
12/14/2005, 03:41 PM
shawnaus17, since you don't have any experience, I'd highly recommend that you hire someone to do this work for you or find someone local that can come to your house and walk you through it.

If you don't do it right, damage could range from blown fuses (breakers), fried parts, and setting your house on fire. But the worst case is you lying on the floor sizzling in your own juices until your maker ends your suffering.

Be safe. Get some experienced help.

shawnaus17
12/14/2005, 06:40 PM
I hate to say this but there isn't anyone around to help. And if I don't learn how to do it then I never will. I believe that reefcentral is here to help me become a better reefer through knowledge of experience. I am really not sure if I will use it I have a coral life tha I striped and it was endcaps I think I will just use that instead and cet another unit.

aquaman2
12/14/2005, 08:41 PM
its so easy. i did mine a while ago so i dont remember too many details. but mine just pretty much unscrewed. i took out a couple of screws and that was that. i just retro-ed all the stuff into a canopy the way it was alread wired. and pluged it in. now that i think about it i had to cut a wire on the switch to get it out, but i just used a wire nut to put it back together. its easy...just do it.

Deep6
12/14/2005, 09:31 PM
I opened my jebo and added a second cord for timers and and a fan. It was not hard to figure out. Grab your screw driver and dive in.