PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use yahoo for email?

cherubfish pair
11/13/2005, 10:20 PM
I use hotmail but I am looking for something else b/c I can't find out how to use the attachment function.

pnosko
11/13/2005, 10:44 PM
Yahoo is spam city. Try GMail. Let me know if you need an invite.

GorillaReefer
11/13/2005, 10:49 PM
GMail kiks butt.

AnnArborBuck
11/13/2005, 10:53 PM
I'll second the gmail. Once you use it you will wonder why other email programs aren't so cool.

PoukieBear
11/14/2005, 12:53 PM
I have yahoo. I do get a lot of spam, but it's all redirected to my Junk mail folder so I never look at it anyway.

What's so cool about gmail?

pnosko
11/14/2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by PoukieBear
What's so cool about gmail? Best Feature: Email is organized by subject so you can read them like an RC thread. Each reply is another "post" to the "conversation". Your inbox is ordered by the date of the last reply, just like the RC forums.

2nd Best feature: no folders. Assign one or more labels to an email to create keywords for searches.

cherubfish pair
11/14/2005, 02:56 PM
Does gmail cost money?

AnnArborBuck
11/14/2005, 03:12 PM
No, it is totally free. If you pm me your email address I will send you a gmail invite.

The other really cool thing about gmail is that it is indexed by their search software so you can easily search your email. It also ties in with their image hosting program that is also really nice.

I also love the label feature that replaces folders. As mentioned above you can assign one or more labels to a email thread. So if you have an email that deals with "Skimmers", "RC", "etc" you can apply all of those labels to one email. that way you can organize your email in any fashion that you want, very powerful feature.

oz
11/14/2005, 04:18 PM
Yes yahoo mail is really spam city.

I use .mac email now since I switched to the Mac.

cherubfish pair
11/15/2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by AnnArborBuck
It also ties in with their image hosting program that is also really nice.
That would be really nice! I'll pm you my address.

dzovi
11/15/2005, 06:30 PM
If anyone has an extra invite for a gmail please pm me. I've been looking to get one for over a year.

masson
11/15/2005, 07:31 PM
I have a few, pm me your first , last name and your current email. If you send it soon I can do it fast.

BrianD
11/15/2005, 07:36 PM
Personally, I think Yahoo has many more features, and I prefer it. My spam folder catches 99.9% of junk.

surfy
11/15/2005, 07:42 PM
I like Yahoo a lot too. Never had problems with spam.

pnosko
11/15/2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by BrianD
Personally, I think Yahoo has many more featuresWhich ones?

AnnArborBuck
11/15/2005, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I wanted to know what more Yahoo has over gmail. I have both and gmail blows yahoo away, it isn't even close IMHO.

I still have tons of invites so if anybody needs one just send me a PM with your email address.

der_wille_zur_macht
11/15/2005, 09:30 PM
Yahoo rocks because if you use it, you can go up to random strangers and ask, "Do you yahoo?"

Then, you can yodle out a nice long YA-Hooooo-ooooooooOOOOO!!!!!

masson
11/15/2005, 10:12 PM
Gewgle will let you use outlook, last I checked yahoo had gotten rid of that option. Yet I still use yahoo and gmail , none of which are on outlook.

BrianD
11/15/2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by AnnArborBuck
Yeah, I wanted to know what more Yahoo has over gmail. I have both and gmail blows yahoo away, it isn't even close IMHO.

"blows yahoo away" in what way exactly?

I like the "disposable addresses" feature of Yahoo. I prefer folders to "labels". Yahoo offers a calendar. I prefer the Yahoo interface.

I want to know in quantifiable terms how one "blows another away".

AnnArborBuck
11/15/2005, 11:01 PM
"blows yahoo away" in what way exactly?

I like the "disposable addresses" feature of Yahoo. I prefer folders to "labels". Yahoo offers a calendar. I prefer the Yahoo interface.

I want to know in quantifiable terms how one "blows another away".

The labels are way more usefull then folders ever are. I have many items that I need to index in different formats, with Gmail that is very easy to use labels. You can't do that with yahoo.
At first many users don't understand what labels can do for you, but once you understand it you will never want to go back.

I also love the threading feature on gmail. In some of my side jobs I have lots of very long running, back and forth emails. In yahoo, all of those emails clog up your folders, they are a pain to track, etc. Sure I can delete each previous emai, but I have to actually do work in deleting the email. In gmail, I only have one threaded email and I don't have to delete anything or worry about cleaning out my inbox.

Gmail also have built in features for the picture program. The gmail index of your folders is also great, as you can easily search through your email. Google is the number one search engine for a reason, and why not use that powerfull engine on your email.

You can create your own very customizable filters that you can save and use over and over again.

Markk96
11/15/2005, 11:07 PM
If Gmail would add folders to its ability that would be great. I like Yahoo alot and use it more then gmail. I have had my Yahoo email account for over 8 years.

BrianD
11/15/2005, 11:07 PM
Yahoo has a built-in picture attachment feature. Folders vs labels is obviously a matter of personal preference. I have no problems with my existing search in Yahoo.

Again, my favorite feature of Yahoo is the ability to create other addresses that I can use to deflect Spam and organize all incoming mail from specific senders. Very useful.

pnosko
11/15/2005, 11:23 PM
Yahoo has a built-in picture attachment feature.Something besides the "attach" button?
Folders vs labels is obviously a matter of personal preference.No chance. If you've ever wanted an email categorized by more than a single category, gmail blows Yahoo away. ;)
my favorite feature of Yahoo is the ability to create other addresses that I can use to deflect Spam and organize all incoming mail from specific senders. Very useful. This is a feature not available in gmail. I tried it and used it, but still 90% of the email I get in Yahoo is SPAM, and over a year with gmail I can still count on one hand how many made it to my inbox.

A two-week password expiration period was much friendlier to me than 24 hours. I rarely use public computers.

I miss the calendar, but not enough to stay with Yahoo. For now, it gets all my RC mail since one must get email notifications to remain subscribed to threads.

AnnArborBuck
11/15/2005, 11:44 PM
One more thing that I like about gmail over yahoo, speed. On my computer gmail is lighting fast while yahoo takes forever to load.

And I guess I still don't understand how folders can even come close to the functionality of labels. I think over half of my emails have more then one label on them, this wouldn't happen in yahoo.

And as far as spam goes I don't use either of my main gmail and yahoo accounts to sign up for stuff. I have special spam accounts for that.

BrianD
11/16/2005, 02:54 AM
Again, it is just a matter of opinion. Folders are more than adequate for me. As for "special spam accounts", I have no desire to have multiple email accounts to check on. With yahoo, I can handle all those chores with one account.

Like I said before, spam is not an issue for me with Yahoo. The program automatically filters out the spam, so I don't even see it.

ShannonT
11/16/2005, 08:54 AM
I use yahoo for email and like it just fine. I have no problem with spam on my account either. Now my old yahoo account, from way back in 1997, that I still use from time to time, gets TONS of spam. It all gets sent to my Bulk mail folder though, so I don't really care.

I don't know if I like the idea of Google indexing my emails.

AnnArborBuck
11/16/2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ShannonT
I don't know if I like the idea of Google indexing my emails.

The indexing isn't available globally, it is only available to yourself for searching your email.

Aquatic Aquaman
11/16/2005, 02:03 PM
How can you go wrong with Gmail you never have to delete another email. After all isn't that what they advertise. And my inbox available room keeps growing every day! 2665.156356 megabytes (and counting) of free storage! Thats almost 3 gig! Let me see yahoo or any other free email provider top that!

BrianD
11/16/2005, 02:07 PM
I have never run out of space on Yahoo, and seriously doubt I ever could. Again, it is a matter of preference, and I think Yahoo has better features and more options. Others like Gmail. You say tomato. I say tomahto.

pnosko
11/16/2005, 03:21 PM
I also like gmail's compressed screen; no wasted space like Yahoo. And that fact that it's a Java Applet, not HMTL (unless you want it that way), so it has many handy keyboard shortcuts.

Reading an email and want to reply? Press r. Reply to all? Press a. Can Yahoo do that?

gmail shortcuts (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6594&query=keyboard+shortcuts&topic=0&type=f)

Gmail blows Yahoo away!

der_wille_zur_macht
11/16/2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah, well my big brother can beat up your big brother!

BrianD
11/16/2005, 03:28 PM
Pete, I am glad those features are important to you. If you are happy with the gmail program, I am happy for you.

Aquatic Aquaman
11/16/2005, 03:50 PM
Also with Gmail you don't have to refresh to see if you have new mail. You just leave the window open and your new mail will automatically be shown.

der_wille_zur_macht
11/16/2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Aquatic Aquaman
Also with Gmail you don't have to refresh to see if you have new mail.

If I use an email client that doesn't require constant monitoring and input, what will my secretary do all day? :confused:

pnosko
11/16/2005, 04:34 PM
If you are happy with the gmail program, I am happy for you. Brian, I am happy that you are happy for me. That doesn't happen to often to me.

der_wille_zur_macht
11/16/2005, 04:35 PM
I'm happy that you're happy about Brian being happy about you being happy.

cherubfish pair
11/16/2005, 05:38 PM
What is the image hosting part of gmail like?

pnosko
11/16/2005, 06:12 PM
Well, the term "hosting" was misused there, I think. Google has a free image management tool called Picasa that you can download. It uses the exact same concept for categorizing and searching as gmail. No longer need you organizing pictures into folders by subject. Just attach one or more labels to a picture and Picasa generates a virtual folder for each separate label showing the related pictures. And Picasa lets you select one or more pictures and email them via gmail.

Very cool. Gmail blows away Yahoo!

Google provides no online storage for photos like Yahoo Briefcase though (unless you count blogs). But they do have a free IM-type program called Hello where you can share pictures with other Hello users in a peer-to-peer style network.

pnosko
12/09/2005, 09:32 AM
Does Yahoo do this? I don't think so! Gmail blows away Yahoo!

What's new on Gmail?

See it now
Don’t want to wait for an attachment to download? Now when you get Microsoft Office, OpenOffice or .pdf attachments, you can view them as a web page in HTML by clicking the "View as HTML" link right next to it. For when you're on a mobile device or you don't want to install some new software just to view a document. Or if you just want to see it faster.

Shortcuts on the right
Now Gmail automatically detects addresses and tracking numbers, and displays useful information for them alongside your messages. With a single click, you can get directions to that address your friend sent you, or find out when the new book you ordered will arrive. Pretty handy!

DHyslop
12/09/2005, 05:55 PM
I just love the interface. Yahoo is so obnoxious with the banner ads and everything. I'm glad that someone is finally bringing creativity back into the internet.

Creativity is everything. Yahoo is now making their online maps "drag-able" in real time (java over html)--gee, I wonder where they got that idea? Yahoo also just recently bumped up their email storage space to 2+ gigs. Hmm, why did they do that?

I understand there's also a new Yahoo email service in Beta....do you think they thought of something new themselves or is it going to be their newest Google clone?

Dan

dc
12/09/2005, 06:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6108694#post6108694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by der_wille_zur_macht
I'm happy that you're happy about Brian being happy about you being happy.

Ahhh, I feel so fuzzy!

http://images12.fotki.com/v238/photos/2/28482/376550/hug23-vi.gif

BrianD
12/09/2005, 06:16 PM
Yahoo blows away gmail, not even close.

pnosko
12/09/2005, 06:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6253586#post6253586 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
Yahoo blows.I'm glad we got that straightened out.

clord
12/09/2005, 07:45 PM
I use yahoo for my main account and gmail as all my others

llpoolej
12/09/2005, 09:22 PM
When I have to send a 10mb attachment(like a raw file) Gmail allows it. That is important to me. If you set google/ig.com as your homepage, it shows your emails on the homepage. If you are running firefox, it has a little icon in the corner that alerts you to new emails.

I like it much better than any of the other programs that are free. My main email is still my server one, but, I like this for other reasons. I have 100 invites if someone wants one

llpoolej@gmail.com

chipmunk
12/10/2005, 12:39 AM
Folks round here sure get all fiesty over email. LOL.