PDA

View Full Version : Lifereef VS3-24 Skimmer

Skepperz
11/13/2005, 09:44 PM
Does anyone have a flanged Lifereef VS3-24 Skimmer?

http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html

Im looking for some suggestions on how to hook my new skimmer up to my sump.

I have a wet dry sump that needs some modifications.

When the tank gets moved i will be removing the bio ball\spray bar compartments. This will give me some more room in my sump, mabey i could turn it into a refuge tank?

There is a picture of my sump in my profile.

Any Ideas?

Skepperz

Skepperz
11/14/2005, 12:06 AM
Bump

marcrothschild
11/14/2005, 03:07 AM
That skimmer runs best with an iwaki 40rlt. That is a pressure rated pump, and therefore it generates some noise. You need a 1" intake bulkhead drilled to be level with the pump intake (take into acount the height of any mounting pads). The bulkhead that the skimmer output will be running through should be placed so it will have the lower 1/2 or 1/3 submerged...this will minimize splashing. You dont want it fully submerged because of back pressure, but if it is not partially submerged you will get splash and bubbles. I would just buy a mag12 and run it in sump....much less headache to get started, and when it goes nuts and overflows (and it will) it wont drain the tank on your floors. I have run that skimmer both ways, and I would go in sump if you can.

Skepperz
11/14/2005, 04:09 AM
Thanks for that much appreciated!

As i already have little giant 3-MDQX-SC, i thought i might give that a try. If that doesn't work out i will buy a mag12.

What are some of the issues with runnig an external pump? How hard is it to get started?

And would you be able to explain how the tank will drain the on the floor? How can i prevent this? I could possibly see this happening if the power went out.

I will have to get the 1" bulkhead drilled in my acrylic sump, do you know anything about drilling?

Skepperz

Skepperz
11/14/2005, 04:13 AM
Oh and i forgot to ask where can i position the inlet for the skimmer pump? Do i need to place the inlet before the baffels, or can i just run it from the other end of the sump out in the open?

Thanks

Skepperz

marcrothschild
11/14/2005, 12:50 PM
The issue with that skimmer overflowing is not with power outages(the water level will drop inside the skimmer). For some reason, if you set the water level at the neck of the skimmer, certain conditions cause it to go nuts and the bubble level rises causing an overflow. I do not know if it is barometric pressure, or certain coral excretions, or what...all I know is with that skimmer it hapens..especially if you skim wet. AS far as plumbing it, if you can set up the intake and output before the baffles, that is best. You want the dirtiest water being fed to the skimmer, and the return from the skimmer will contain some bubbles, which the baffles can remove. The only difficulty with external is the drilling of the sump..,your LG pump will work fine. Check out the protein skimmer production thread in Anthony Calfos forum