PDA

View Full Version : Alk - Ca balance

kamil5000
11/12/2005, 01:37 PM
Dear Dr. Randy,

I have read many, many articles of the Alk/Ca balance and still feel the need to ask for a clarification;

My current parameters are (for a 75 gallon system):

Alk - 2.455 Meq/L
Ca - 395 ppm
Mg - 1300

I am attempting to increase these levels to Ca 450, which according to the reef chem calculator, has a balanced Alk of 4.45 Meq/L.

Does this mean that I would be unable to increase calcium to the desired 450 ppm, unless i increase Alk to 4.45 Meq/L ? As this would be the level were the ionic balance is achieved?

In this case, as I understand, Calcium additions on their own would be pointless as an increase in Calcium alone would not be reached or maintained without Alk additions to reach this balance?

Also, once I reach the required chemistery parmeters, Supplements of both of both Alk & Ca would be required in equal parts to maintain it?

Sorry about all these questions, but i did read and research as much as i could before comming to you.

Tks
Kamil

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/12/2005, 01:49 PM
I would ignore the "balance"in this context. IMO, the optimal alkalinity is not tied to the specific calcium level in the aquarium. Alos, you can move them about independently however you desire, un less you push one or both too high, causing potential precipitation of claicum carbonate.

Also, once I reach the required chemistery parmeters, Supplements of both of both Alk & Ca would be required in equal parts to maintain it?

Yes. :)

In your case, I'd use calcium chloride to boost the calcium, then use some sort of balanced additive to maintain them both, and adjust alkalinity going forward with it slowly.

kamil5000
11/13/2005, 12:03 PM
Great. Tks Dr. Randy.
Kamil

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/13/2005, 02:53 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)

cmc5dc
11/14/2005, 01:42 AM
Randy,

Would it matter how fast you would add either Calcium or alkanity? Of course keeping an eye on your ph.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/14/2005, 07:35 AM
If you are adding limewater, the rate matters. If you are adding calcium chloride and/or baking soda or buffers, no it doesn't matter. :)