PDA

View Full Version : orangespot goby w/ missing tail (and photos)

Delta_zeta
11/11/2005, 11:07 PM
our orangespot goby in our 300 we had to pull out because he's literally missing his entire tail. It looks like it was clipped off by one of our emerald crabs. It's taken off completely to the flesh, no tail at all. I'm wondering if it could be finrot? or if it's possible that the emerald did take it off, because we have about 6 crabs in the tank and they've been relatively agressive. Regardless of what it is, we have it in a quarantine, but I really need to know what to do to go about treating him so he regenerates his tail?

29GallonReefer
11/11/2005, 11:13 PM
i highly doubt it was the crabs, in fact if it was me i'd rule them out completely. Any bigger, aggressive fish in the tank? Doesn't take much to take off anothers tail.

Delta_zeta
11/11/2005, 11:16 PM
the only "BIG" fish we have is my orange shoulder tang, and she doesn't bother anyone. We really don't have any aggressive fish in the tank. This is what we have in the 300 - orange shoulder tang, 3 yellowtailed damsels, 5 green chromis, 2 mated mandarins, 2 purple queen anthias, falco hawk, flame hawk, 2 mated false percs, dragon goby, watchman goby, hawiian cleaner wrase and green coris wrasse for fish. We have a coral banded shrimp, cleaner shrimp, 6 emeralds, 2 pompoms and a plethera of hermits and snails.

Delta_zeta
11/11/2005, 11:18 PM
I just have a hardtime believing that it's any of the other fish b/c the "meanest" fish we have is probably the dragon goby or the flame hawk, and the only time they're agressive is if someone is in their territory...but the orangespot stays in the little cave he dug out for himself.

What do I need to start treating him w/ though because he's in a hospital tank right now, and I'm just waiting to know what i need to do to heal him?

Delta_zeta
11/11/2005, 11:37 PM
here's photos i just took of his tail

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/delta_zeta/300Gal%20tank/orangespottail.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/delta_zeta/300Gal%20tank/orangespottail1.jpg

Delta_zeta
11/12/2005, 12:32 AM
I just need to know if i need to add any antibiotics or antibacterials to the water to at least help him heal? I don't care as much about WHAT did it as much as how to just help him heal for now because I can deal w/ that part of it when he's getting better. Right now he's breathing pretty heavily and I'm really afraid he won't make it overnight...

Steven Pro
11/12/2005, 07:20 AM
I would try an antibiotic like Kanacyn, Minocycline, or Nitrofurazone.

Delta_zeta
11/12/2005, 12:08 PM
is this stuff I'd have to have prescribed, or is it OTC stuff?

Delta_zeta
11/12/2005, 12:42 PM
do any of these antibiotics have brand names they would be available in the store in?

Steven Pro
11/12/2005, 01:25 PM
They are all available over the counter at local fish stores. Minocycline is the active ingredient in Mardel's Maracyn-2. Nitrofurazone is in Furanace or Furanase, I can't remember how they spell that. And, I can't remember how they label Kanamycin. Just go to the store and start looking at the labels.

BTTRFLYGRL
11/12/2005, 01:44 PM
If you can't find any in your lfs...You can order Furan-2 through liveaquaria.com. this stuff works great