PDA

View Full Version : Auto Top Off Questions

jayare
11/10/2005, 12:19 PM
Ok,
I want to add an auto top off unit to my tank. How is this done?
I've looked at the ATos at autotopoff.com and they look self explanitory. My question is, do I just place a container of water in my stand, run a pump with a hose up into the tank? Also, does the tube going into the main tank have to be out of the water to avoid back siphoning?
Thanks,
Jesse

jayare
11/10/2005, 01:57 PM
bump

Reeforbust
11/10/2005, 01:59 PM
All I did was run the line from my RO/DI into a float valve that is installed in my sump. When it gets low the RO water pours in till the float "floats" up and closes the valve.

Easy and simple!!

gillies
11/10/2005, 02:08 PM
Tunze Osmolator and a bucket with lid from Home Depot. Has worked flawlessly for years.

jsbzmcdaniel
11/10/2005, 03:44 PM
Reeforbust,

I would be concerned that the float valve would stick and then you would have a endless supply of RO water entering the sump. Wouldn't make more sense to add a container of RO water and then feed from that?

jayare
11/10/2005, 03:47 PM
Can anyone tell me that if I have the tube coming from the top-off container going into the tank, will it back siphon?

cres
11/10/2005, 04:20 PM
If the water level in your top-off container is lower than your tank, it will syphon into your top-off container. If the water level in your tank is lower than the top-off container it will syphon into the tank. You could use a check valve to stop it, but, it the check valve sticks, you have a problem.

If the end of the hose is out of water and higher than the top-off container, you will be okay. Otherwise you will need some form of syphon break, like a tee, to break the syphon.

Reeforbust
11/10/2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by jsbzmcdaniel
Reeforbust,

I would be concerned that the float valve would stick and then you would have a endless supply of RO water entering the sump. Wouldn't make more sense to add a container of RO water and then feed from that?

How would it stick????

The float pushes a rubber stopper up into the nozzle, all it does is plug the hole where the water comes out. For it to not work, the float would have to break off??:p

I do daily feeding and skimmer cleaning in the sump area so if a problem arises I will see it but I'm not worried at all......This is so much easier than a tank here, and a pump there, and back siphon..........:fun5:That'll drive ya nuts!!

This works for me!! :rollface:

Donw
11/10/2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Reeforbust
How would it stick????

The float pushes a rubber stopper up into the nozzle, all it does is plug the hole where the water comes out. For it to not work, the float would have to break off??:p

I do daily feeding and skimmer cleaning in the sump area so if a problem arises I will see it but I'm not worried at all......This is so much easier than a tank here, and a pump there, and back siphon..........:fun5:That'll drive ya nuts!!

This works for me!! :rollface:

It will stick one day, thats pretty much a given. I'm not a firm believer in having a extra tank especially one that refills itself. I do think its much safer to use dual floats and dual solenoids.

Don

Reeforbust
11/10/2005, 05:04 PM
If it sticks, it will stick closed!!And then all will be right with the world!!:wildone:

Donw
11/10/2005, 05:08 PM
If it sticks, it will stick closed!!And then all will be right with the world!!:wildone:

Nope. Float valves have flooded more houses than you would imagine. Not to mention lowering the salinity and killing the entire tank.

Don

Reeforbust
11/10/2005, 05:11 PM
Well....Tell me how it will stick??

Did this happen to you?

Donw
11/10/2005, 05:30 PM
Well....Tell me how it will stick??

Did this happen to you?

The seal will go bad and yes my mixing can floods at least once a year. Thats why it now has a backup float and solenoid.

Don

Reeforbust
11/10/2005, 05:47 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm.......

So replace the seal every 6 months or replace the float valve and I'm in business!!!!:D

How does the seal go bad if all it gets on it is RO water??

zooqi
11/14/2005, 09:40 PM
here is how to prevent if from sticking..
DIY (http://reefnest.com/diy/topoff/index.html)

onehundred20
11/14/2005, 11:16 PM
I use the jbj auto top off, i like it alot and its really easy to use.

Donw
11/14/2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by zooqi
here is how to prevent if from sticking..
DIY (http://reefnest.com/diy/topoff/index.html)

Cute but needs a relay.
Here ya go.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/58414dads_004.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/58414dads_003.jpg

ErikS
11/15/2005, 11:40 AM
How will it happen? Simple the float will stick in the "on" position & water will continue to flow into the sump until it floods - eventually you'll have a freshwater tank.

It may be a snail (the tiny ones that go everywhere), it may be debris, it could be anything.

There is only one certainty - that it will happen, regardless of your vigilance.