PDA

View Full Version : Brain coral questions

collitchboy
11/10/2005, 09:47 AM
I have been looking at getting a brain for a while ;) (maybe it would help me in my biochem class). Anyway, how well do you all think it would do under 130W PC lighting in a 29G tank? Also, I recently relocated my frogspawn to a different location in my tank due to a potential interaction with my Kenya tree (made it shrink up for about a week). Would I have to worry about chemical warfare between these two species?

I would do a search but it is "down" due to high use :/ Thanx.

fishdoc11
11/10/2005, 03:21 PM
If you find a good brain let me know. I need one too:p
To be honest I haven't tried a brain in a while. I had bad luck with a couple years ago and quit trying/haven't had a place for one. From what I understand one should do fine under that lighting and the key is to get a healthy specimen to start with. As far as placement I would think closer to the frogspawn. Maybe someone that knows more will chime in. Mimi is the brain expert:)
Chris

Mdwannabe
11/10/2005, 06:20 PM
Not a brain expert, but if yours need's fixing I can help :D

Mdwannabe
11/10/2005, 06:26 PM
Seriously, mine (green open) is sitting within 1 inch of my frogspawn and no problems exist, except for both their ferocious appetites.

Rick

collitchboy
11/10/2005, 07:45 PM
okie dokie. Now to look into feeding (if needed) and to find one I guess ;)

phudeb
11/10/2005, 09:26 PM
FWIW, my green and red brain do great under PC's with med flow and terrible under MH with high flow. Two two I have were almost dead when I got them from a LFS. Now beautiful.

Angela Short
11/10/2005, 09:47 PM
I agree its hard to find a healthy one. I love the look of them. I can't ever feed mine, everyone grabs the food off him before he consumes it :(.

collitchboy
11/10/2005, 10:11 PM
thanx for the info. from the sounds of it i would be better of buying from aquatic critter or emerald bay (rarely out that way) rather than online due to "health issues". thanx again.

Angela Short
11/10/2005, 10:52 PM
I agree that getting one you see is the better choice but they still can be tricky if they have been rouphed up during delivery. The best place IMO is if someone inthe club is selling one that has been in captivity for awhile and healthy. I was lucky and got this huge green and purple brain from a sell out about 6 months ago :).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/shortcory/000_0434.jpg

I had bad luck with the only one I bought right off the truck at a local store. Its best if they have been there awhile to see if they will make it but all the pretty ones get snached up that way!

collitchboy
11/10/2005, 11:04 PM
that things a monster!

Angela Short
11/10/2005, 11:21 PM
It stays mushed up next to the glass now it has gotten so big. I really like it but makes mag floating the glass a challenge. Ya know I have a weird shaped red brain just hanging out behind the rocks because I have no room for it I would part with kinda cheap. It got bangged on one corner but has healed up nice and bleached out pretty bad under my 175 watt MH's but colored back up wonderfull now that it gets no light except antics. I guess the reds don't like high light. This is a old pic but I will try and get one up of it now tommorow. $15 Its real deep, I thought I would work it in the rocks but could never make it fit in my set-up. I am a little crowded though...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/shortcory/000_0168.jpg

This is when he was really struggling. It is deep red and fat again now. Except for the corner that got banged.

here it is wedged in the rock still looking bad. Yes the green brain up front was my brain that died within a week of getting him. Again it has colored back up since thease pics.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/shortcory/000_0141.jpg

Nashvegas
11/11/2005, 11:12 PM
Here is a red and green brain I bought at AC and it has been great so far under my 135 pc's. It is higher up near the lights and in a medium flow.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/90250redbrain.jpg

collitchboy
11/13/2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Nashvegas
[B]It is higher up near the lights and in a medium flow.

a lot of the stuff i have read is that they are substrate dwellers. does it not matter "that much" if they are not on the sand?

SexiShrimp
11/13/2005, 09:50 PM
brains don't have to be on the sand....as long as the meaty parts don't get stuck on rocks and spikey places they should be fine. I have 1 brain on the very top part of my tank on a flat rock...it's doing great!!! Just watch that meaty part and you should be fine!
:)
SS