PDA

View Full Version : CA reactor media

imsqueak
11/07/2005, 07:03 PM
What media do you use? Any particular reason why? Any thoughts about changing to something else? Why?

My CA chamber is half full (optimistic view). I wish I'd have got some on my PA order but I forgot. I emailed them to see if my order has shipped and requested that if it hasn't add 8lbs C-ARM. I requested this because Charles said that's what he used when I bought the reactor from him.

On a similar note, I've been looking for "ice melt" to boost my CA but havent found it in HD, LW or WM yet. Anyone have any they'd sell?

cee
11/07/2005, 07:43 PM
Try the feed stores, Anderson Co. COOP has two different types, but I'm not certain what it is. If you come across a product called Mag in your search, LMK. I don't use ARM because of phosphate concerns. Many are using the Korallin knockoff from PA, I use the Koralith.

Dave

SmartWrasse
11/07/2005, 10:11 PM
I have used Koralith just because I heard it was good stuff. Worked OK in my reactor at reasonable pH.

imsqueak
11/16/2005, 07:42 PM
Dave, drove from the airport up to Anderson Co-op to find that they are 8-5M-F 8-12S. Checked K-mart on my way back down Clinton Hwy and they dont have it in yet either. I'll make a run up there before the meeting. Anyone want me to pick some up for them?

EvilMel
11/16/2005, 11:09 PM
I use a smaller substrate in mine (I think it's Koralith). I keep getting my media compacted because I have the CO2 up too high. If I had bigger particle sized-media I think it would not happen as much.

I thought Dave A. used a substrate that was much larger but I guess not.