PDA

View Full Version : SSB Experiences ( Larger Grain Sizes )

Leviathan
11/07/2005, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone,
I am going to be putting a SSB back into my 90 gallon very soon, and would like some personal feedback.

I run around 35-40x turnover in this system, and know from experience that its difficult at best to have a fine grain size stay in place for very long in there. I want a SSB more for viewing pleasure and the slight buffering qualities only, as a filtration source I am not concerned at all and a sliica based substrate is not an option this time.

I have a few products in mind and wondered if anyone has any personal experience with them, how you like it etc... Or if you have a better suggestion I am open to that as well.

Here are the two substrates I have been looking at lately, but still somewhat concerned that the grain size is too small to handle the flow:

Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand 44 lb. 1.25-1.95 mm

Caribsea Seaflor Super Reef 40 lb. mm?

Like I said, anyone with personal experience with a similar flow setup having good sucess with a different subrtrate or grain size please feel free to post your experience as well, I am open to suggestions here and have about 6-7 weeks to make a decission before my rocks are finished cooking.

Thanks
Chris

Thanks Chris

Leviathan
11/09/2005, 05:52 PM
Ok maybe if I re-word my question I might get some feedback.

What have you found to be a good arg. based sand that is of a large enough grain size not to get blown around too much?

I have seen some of you guys using larger sized stuff, so I know its available.

Anyone?

jsmith0193
11/09/2005, 06:42 PM
I used Special Grade reef sand for my SSB in my 60x20 tank, have 2 Stream 6000s and a wavebox - the sand still gets rearranged to the point that I have to rearrange it to cover the bare spots weekly.

Leviathan
11/10/2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by jsmith0193
I used Special Grade reef sand for my SSB in my 60x20 tank, have 2 Stream 6000s and a wavebox - the sand still gets rearranged to the point that I have to rearrange it to cover the bare spots weekly.

Thanks for the input, thats kind of the situation I have found myself in the past.