PDA

View Full Version : Captive Bred Banggai Cardinal?

h2joe
11/05/2005, 09:01 PM
is there anyone in the Tampa Bay area that is currently breeding them or has some for sale? i have been looking for some but most are way to overpriced and are full grow so im afraid that they may have parasites. im looking for a pair for my 55g beg. reef tank.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

robthorn
11/06/2005, 08:16 AM
well the best place to get them captive bred that I know of since I don't have a breeding pair anymore is fish and other ichthy stuff. he only carries captive bred anymore. he has a bunch and they are still pretty small. I just got 2 about 2 weeks ago and they are doing very well and he still has them left from the same batch I got.
bangaii's are very hardy and I personnally have never seen a sick bangaii. I have seen wild caught starve themselves to death wanting only live foods though. the ones john has are all eating like little pigs he will feed them for you of course if you ask. I think they were somewhere around $25 maybe? who knows I never buy just one thing so it's hard to remember.
where you at in largo by the way?

oceana
11/06/2005, 08:47 AM
hey rob this is off subject but i have been trying to catch this damn fish for 3 days. my wife and i have tried 2 nets no nets fish trad and even my crate contraption which has ALWAYS work in the past. so far we have cought every fish BUT the wrasse. we even cought the yellow wrasse(also from your tank). we will keep trying but so far i dont see this happening unless i do some tear down.. i'll let ya know

h2joe
11/06/2005, 09:39 AM
Rob i live off trotter road which is next to talor park. i have just started to create a reef tank, so the only things i have are some shrooms, a perc, and some kind of tang. if you have any corals for sale please let me know as im in the process of making a nice reef. i can only hope to have a reef as some of the other RCers do.

thanks,

Mark

robthorn
11/06/2005, 11:39 AM
mark remember to just do what you want with it and try not to get caught up in the high priced hipe some people get into. unless of course thats your thing. anything thats $1000 can be found for $30 if your patient. most things go in cycles according to who photo shops best and then things go through the roof for a while.
I see you are running metal halide. are you into acros or something? if so good choice if not t5's will grow anything else and save you a butt load of money on your car insurance. oops I mean electric bill.

h2joe
11/06/2005, 03:47 PM
lol thanks for that bit of advice. im not looking to get really into acros but the fact that i have the supplies capable of doing it makes it that much easier for me in the long run. right now all i have is some red and purple shrooms. they seem to be doing great under MH and there is even new growth. my true goal is to start out breeding one of the simpler fish such as banggais and eventualy work my way up to the harder ones. i have experiece in breeding FW angles and ciclids but thats about it so ive been looking for a black O clown to pair with my Perc whom has been by her self for quite some time. she is the one i would truly like to breed as she has great colors and a decent personality. the only other fish i have in the tank right now is a tang of some kind. almost forgot, im only 17 so i dont pay the electric bill.......YET.

robthorn
11/07/2005, 11:58 AM
ha lucky you my old tank cost almost $75 a month to run. when I sold it my electric bill dropped half off . I was like I will never do that again it's too much and I am not rich.

oceana
11/07/2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by robthorn
ha lucky you my old tank cost almost $75 a month to run. when I sold it my electric bill dropped half off . I was like I will never do that again it's too much and I am not rich.

oh sure rob i notice when i came to pic up those light you said nothing about how much it would cost lol. i see how it is. stick me with the bill haha jk

robthorn
11/07/2005, 02:12 PM
yeah right I had 4 of them plus an almost 4 amp pump and actinics and whatever else I can't remember. but you can keep it. I am thinking 2 660 ballasts will be way too much but oh well I will pay.

h2joe
11/07/2005, 02:54 PM
hey rob you would by chance happen to have any corals for sale. if so shoot me a pm and will work something out.

thanks,

Mark

robthorn
11/07/2005, 03:51 PM
not really in this tank I don't. I used to have frags all the time. all I have now would be some green stripe mushrooms and I have to pluck them off the rocks so I can keep the rock since it is manano rock which is no longer collected. manano is super light for it's size

h2joe
11/07/2005, 04:26 PM
alright well if you ever get some stuff that you frag i would be interested especially since your close to me. thanks again,

Mark